• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging Time

falexs

Dec 6, 2009
AZ
I finally received my Eris today. So... I rushed home, plugged the phone into the wall, and did the activation. (This was about four hours ago.) My phone has yet to be charged. By far... this has taken way more than any of my other pones. (Then again, this is my first Smartphone.) So... how long does it usually take for the phone to charge? I want to start playing with it now!!!!

Hey! Congrats on getting your new Eris. You're going to love this phone... Just make sure until you "condition" the battery, you have your charger with you, because your battery will probably get used up pretty fast... And hmm, yeah it took a few hours for mine to charge too... Then it lasted probably half the day, and I had to recharge it.

Make sure you charge it completely, then use it up until the battery is drained, and charge it again. Do this for a few days, and you'll notice some improvement in your battery (at least in my case). Also make sure you check up some of the other posts in this forum about how to improve battery life. Other than the battery issue, this phone is AMAZING :) Enjoy!
*EDIT* I stand corrected on this letting the battery drain/conditioning thing. Supposedly it is not necessary.... I don't know.. But for ME, It seems that my battery is lasting a LOT longer now than it used to though!
Hope you're enjoying your Eris. I am loving mine.

Upvote 0
Mine takes about 1.5 hours to fully charge with the AC charger with the phone on. USB charging will take forever unless you power down the phone and let all the 500ma of current from the USB port to be used to charge the battery instead of running the phone also.

Turning your phone off will charge your battery MUCH faster.

Upvote 0
I know the first time I charged my phone, I let it sit for 10 hours or so and it still had the amber light. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Green light came on in a few seconds and I was good to go and fully charged. That's the only time it has happened to me and charges fairly quickly.

Upvote 0
The charging is a big positive on this phone. Granted it can run down quickly but even with a hour charge with it being 13% within an hour its back up around 80 - 84 %. Im guessing it takes about 2.5 hours to fully charge. Hopefully once the updates drop this battery issue will be a thing of the past. The best part is soon we will have extended battery which will be better

Just my .02

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I did have a chance to respond earlier, sorry.

So, about an hour after I posted this, I turned my phone on. The status light turned green immediately, and the meter in the About section was full.... ahhhhhhh! Wish I had read your posts earlier! The sad part is that I did not have a chance to play with the phone that day. But, so far I LOVE IT. (So does my wife, we got the BOGO.)

About the battery, I actually think it's pretty good for what it does. I'm considering buying another one, or will wait until an extended battery is

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I did have a chance to respond earlier, sorry.

So, about an hour after I posted this, I turned my phone on. The status light turned green immediately, and the meter in the About section was full.... ahhhhhhh! Wish I had read your posts earlier! The sad part is that I did not have a chance to play with the phone that day. But, so far I LOVE IT. (So does my wife, we got the BOGO.)

About the battery, I actually think it's pretty good for what it does. I'm considering buying another one, or will wait until an extended battery is
I'm glad you're liking you Eris, and welcome to the forums.

Definitely read up on the battery saving tips in the appropriate thread.
Just remember the battery life gets better after completely discharging and charging it with the phone off a few times. :)

Upvote 0
Takes me about 2-3 hours with it powered on with the home charger or car charger. USB a little longer.
Yeah it takes a mad long time with USB, which is what I mostly use since I'm always sitting at my computer.
I mean a LONG time. Sometimes if I'm doing something on it like talking, it doesn't even charge.. when I'm done with the phone call, the meter is right where it was before I answered.
It charges while I'm on the phone when it's plugged into the wall though.
Now obviously it's because the USB port gets less power to it than a wall charger.

Upvote 0
OK... I'm kinda new hear and i don't pretend to be some battery expert but i saw someone said that once falexs conditions the battery it will begin to last longer and i have seen on this forum, more than a few times, that the battery for the Eris does not need to be conditioned because they have almost no memory effect. Also, that it can be detrimental to battery life if lithium ion batteries are ever fully discharged. in fact the only reason one would discharge the battery would be to calibrate the digital fuel gauge in the phone. this needs to be done roughly every 30 charges (so about once a month). if it is not done periodically then the gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

Upvote 0
OK... I'm kinda new hear and i don't pretend to be some battery expert but i saw someone said that once falexs conditions the battery it will begin to last longer and i have seen on this forum, more than a few times, that the battery for the Eris does not need to be conditioned because they have almost no memory effect. Also, that it can be detrimental to battery life if lithium ion batteries are ever fully discharged. in fact the only reason one would discharge the battery would be to calibrate the digital fuel gauge in the phone. this needs to be done roughly every 30 charges (so about once a month). if it is not done periodically then the gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

For the first full drain, it is helpful to go from 100% to close to 0% (some will say to let it die completely. I have never done this).

Some say to do this 2 or 3 times. Once may suffice though. I don't know that this actually DOES anything to the battery itself (in terms of "conditioning") though. It is typically to allow the phone to calibrate how it sees the battery, or in some sense 'learn' what the battery does when it is full and when it is close to empty (in terms of how much voltage it puts out before it stops putting out any real wattage). When the wattage (or amps, depending if you're including volts in the calculation, it doesn't matter though) starts to drop to the point of the phone not working, it will warn you that the battery is at 20, 15, or 5%. In the future, it helps the phone to know how many volts the battery is putting out when it starts to stop putting out watts/amps. Part of the point is that, it becomes more accurate.

So if the phone says it's at 50%, it's really at 50%. The first time you are discharging the battery, the phone doesn't really 'know' what 50% is, unless it is pre-calibrated.

These phones may actually be pre-calibrated for our 1300mah battery. I have no idea. I've been following everyone's advice when draining/recharging.

IN GENERAL, Li-Ion batteries do better when you, by and large, drain them to 20% or below, and charge them to 80% or above (so they say!).

To this minute, my phone charges great, but takes an extra 30 minutes to do charge the last % or two, to 100%. I think the phone has to realize that the battery isn't going to get any more charge before it says it's 'charged' (the green light)

Upvote 0
ive been reading the same thing, the whole discharge thing may just be in your head and is not recommended to go to 0% on your phone. possibly going down to 10% and then recharging it fully once will do something (calibrate it) but the idea of conditioning the phone is still just a myth. some say it does something, others say it does nothing. talking to experts with batteries, they say it will do nothing but possibly allow your phone to read the battery better and get more accurate, but they still tell me it isn't recommended for the sake of the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones