• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging while powered off causes shutdown

zelaine2

Lurker
Sep 29, 2021
Soon after I started using my new phone almost three years ago, it was shutting down randomly once in a while. It would stay on for about an hour at a time. Once it starts doing this, it takes a few days to return to normal. Then it would be fine for a month or so. After trying different things and observing it, I think the problem occurs when I charge the phone while the power is off. I normally charge it while it's on, rarely letting it go below 30% and not charging over 70-80%. As a test, I tried charging while off, and the problem started right away.

Is this a thing that happens? I can't find anything online about this. Can I do anything about it other than the tedious calibration procedure of charging to 100% and leaving it on for an hour or two? It's tedious because the phone does not stay on for an hour. It took four tries last time. I'm not certain if that worked, but the phone stayed on after the fourth try.

The battery holds the charge perfectly. I can get a few days of use. It works normally otherwise. The problem is the shutdown behavior that I think is happening when charging while the power is off. Because it's extremely inconvenient, I have not tested my theory extensively. Any suggestions to avoid this problem? I mean other than never charging while it's off, if that's the reason.

Thanks for reading!

Sounds like a battery issue.

Holding a charge is great, but there are other circuitry built in to batteries, like overcharge protection and other things.

Something like that could have failed.

Is the battery easy to replace?

If so, enter the model number (and nothing else) into the seach on your browser.

Ignore e-bay, and any info about whatever device the battery is/isn't for.
(If the model number is the same, the battery is the same.)

Your device is a few years old, and batteries are designed for 2-3 years of 'normal' use.
I generally get about 2.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a battery issue.

Holding a charge is great, but there are other circuitry built in to batteries, like overcharge protection and other things.

Something like that could have failed.

Is the battery easy to replace?

If so, enter the model number (and nothing else) into the seach on your browser.

Ignore e-bay, and any info about whatever device the battery is/isn't for.
(If the model number is the same, the battery is the same.)

Your device is a few years old, and batteries are designed for 2-3 years of 'normal' use.
I generally get about 2.

Thanks for all the info. I'm fairly easy on batteries and this one might last for a while, but I want to be ready if performance drops. The battery is easily accessible -- one reason I bought this model.
Do you have some suggestions for places to buy a good battery? If eBay shows an actual Motorola battery (GK40), are you saying I'd still be better elsewhere?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can't think of any good reason why charging while off would cause problems when you turn it on. Charging while on will generate more heat, so it would be easier to understand if you had problems if you charged when on than when off (though neither should cause problems, so I would also suspect a hardware/battery problem).

Upvote 0
Yes, I would stay away from e-bay and the like.

Amazon has been good to me in this aspect.

And remember to ONLY go by the model number of the battery, and ignore all other info.
I almost did not get a battery before because I was fixated on what device I was putting it in, and the device was not listed anywhere but others were.
I took a $10 chance and ordered it anyway, going with the model number of the old battery.

It was an exact match.

Upvote 0
If your device is shutting down when you try to charge it while it's powered off, there might be a few reasons for this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow:

1. **Check the Charger and Cable:** Ensure that you are using a compatible charger and cable. Using a low-quality or damaged charger and cable can cause charging issues.

2. **Inspect the Charging Port:** Inspect the charging port of your device for any dust, lint, or debris. Use a small, gentle brush or compressed air to clean out the port, ensuring there is a good connection between the charger and the device.

3. **Try a Different Outlet:** Sometimes, the problem might be with the power outlet. Try plugging the charger into a different outlet to see if the issue persists.

4. **Restart Your Device:** Before charging, turn on your device and then turn it off again. Sometimes, performing a soft reset can resolve temporary issues.

5. **Update Software:** Check if there are any software updates available for your device. Software glitches can sometimes cause charging problems, and updating your device's software might fix the issue.

6. **Perform a Hard Reset:** If restarting doesn't work, try performing a hard reset. This process varies between devices, so refer to your device's manual or official website for instructions on how to perform a hard reset.

7. **Check for Hardware Issues:** If the problem persists, there might be an underlying hardware issue. It could be a faulty battery, charging port, or other internal component. In this case, it's best to contact the device manufacturer or visit an authorized service center for professional assistance.

Remember, if your device is still under warranty, it's advisable to seek help from the manufacturer or authorized service provider to avoid voiding the warranty.

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones