• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging while USB keyboard/ mouse is connected??

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to charge the Nexus while having a keyboard/ mouse/ game controller connected via an OTG cable & usb hub/ splitter cable?
If I connect a male/male USB cable between the Nexus charger and the USB hub, will this charge it, or will it damage any of the items connected?
My understanding is that all the items are connected in parallel, and so my theory should work. Then again, I'm not 100% about computer things.
Thanks.:)

I think its physically impossible even if you used a y connector (or hub). The device can only use the Port for one thing at a time aka charging or using a external device. There would have to be some kinda switch on the port to allow it to go back and forth. Then it would still not really work.

Upvote 0
I think its physically impossible even if you used a y connector (or hub). The device can only use the Port for one thing at a time aka charging or using a external device. There would have to be some kinda switch on the port to allow it to go back and forth. Then it would still not really work.

my understanding is that there is a connection on the micro usb port connector that makes it the host adapter cable and if you could get that to turn on and off it would switch modes.

Upvote 0
Is such a dock out there yet? Such a dock would possibly already have charging and USB connectivity built in else it wouldn't bee of much use.

Not sure if it is out yet, but I have seen photos. It charges through the metal dots on the side of the N7 so its usb port is free for the other accessories. I'll try and dig up some info on it and will post back.:)

Upvote 0
Here you go.;)

nexus7dock.jpg

Nexus 7 accessory lineup leaks, POGO dock and premium leather case coming soon | Android Central

Upvote 0
Looks good. I want one.

Another question I've been meaning to ask. I'll be using my Nexus as a GPS. Does anyone know of a good heavy duty car windscreen mount for them? It's mainly for offroad driving, so I need one that mounts really securely. Also I'd prefer one that has supports on the base/ sides/ front to hold the Nexus, not one of those cheap squeaze type clamping mounts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones