• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fahd Salah

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Hey guys, so normally i always charge my phone from 20% to 80-85% to have a better battery life.
Two days ago i accidentally charged it from 20% to 100% i was just wondering, is that considered a full-cycle charge?! Or is it supposed to start from 0% to 100% to consider it a full-cycle charge?
-Thanks in advance.

Don't fret so much. Charging to 100% is not a big deal. Sure, in principle keeping the charge in about the range you suggest is best for longevity, but going outside that range occasionally is not going to kill it.

Personally I do not consider the hassle of stopping charging at 80% to be worth it and always charge fully, and I typically keep my phones for about 4 years. So going up to 100% once is simply not worth worrying about.

(Technically 0-100 is a "full cycle", but if you are arguing about battery wear it's not linear, and depends on other factors such as temperature as well. But honestly what you describe is not worth thinking about for the time you've spent reading this post).

Upvote 0
11-23_08:32:24.jpg

I post this charging log for reference.

If you stop at 80%, it's less than 0.5 cycle.

From 20% to 100% can be considered 0.9 cycle.

Reactions: Fahd Salah and svim
Upvote 0
Don't fret so much. Charging to 100% is not a big deal. Sure, in principle keeping the charge in about the range you suggest is best for longevity, but going outside that range occasionally is not going to kill it.
Personally I do not consider the hassle of stopping charging at 80% to be worth it and always charge fully, and I typically keep my phones for about 4 years. So going up to 100% once is simply not worth worrying about.
(Technically 0-100 is a 'full cycle', but if you are arguing about battery wear it's not linear, and depends on other factors such as temperature as well. But honestly what you describe is not worth thinking about for the time you've spent reading this post).
First of all, thanks for your reply.
Second of all, am not worried at all :D i just wanted to know how or when to say it's a full cycle.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind, too that a "full cycle" as your phone reports it, is never a true full cycle (0% --> 100%) from the battery's perspective. Because it can be detrimental to a Li battery to fully charge it and allowing it to discharge completely could render it inert, the circuitry of the phone prevents that from happening. When the phone reports 0% or 100% what you are seeing at the battery is generally 10%-15% and 93% - 95% respectively.

Reactions: lvt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones