1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Chat App With Voice, and Option for Status by Screen State

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by GPooj, Aug 1, 2013.

1. GPooj

GPooj Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Since Google Talk will be going away, and Hangouts is not exactly a chat application, I need to find a chat app that will do what Talk did for me.

I want standard chat and voice, and I don't want messages treated like emails, I want it as a conversation (like how Talk used to be). I like the feature of the conversations to be logged as long as I want.

Additionally, a very necessary feature for me is an online/offline/away/idle status indicator.

My wife uses her phone as her alarm clock, so when she wakes up there's a moment where she appears "available", or green. So that feature was awesome for me when I travel for work. If I don't know when she's waking up, I can check my phone at her usual times and tell her good morning when she's awake, not when she's sleeping.

That feature was excellent. Do any other platforms support status like this? It's become part of my life and I'd hate to see the functionality dropped and not picked up by anyone else.

Can anyone make a good recommendation?

Advertisement

2. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast
    None

May 26, 2013
    i've heard good things about oovoo and viber, though i don't video chat. have no friends, not sure what's up with that.:)