1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Cheap car or AC chargers causing wonky touchscreen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cerberusss, Sep 9, 2011.

1. cerberusss

cerberusss Member
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    Hi guys,

Two days ago, I connected my Samsung Gio to a cheap no-brand car charger. This charger used to work fine with my older iPhone 3G. When I disconnected it an hour later, the touch screen acted weird. It wouldn't respond to my tapping, or it would register the tap but think I tapped somewhere else.

This disappeared with a reboot, which was quite hard to do (because pressing the poweroff asks for a confirmation on... the touchscreen!).

I thought it was a one-off issue, but the same thing happened when I charged the Gio with another cheap no-brand AC charger.

Since then, I've only charged the Gio with either the official AC adapter or via my laptop and the problem hasn't appeared anymore.

Anyone else experienced this?

Advertisement

2. Dodge34

Dodge34 Newbie
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Laval, Qu
    I didn't experience this but thanks for warning users, I'm new to the android phones and would like to buy a car adapter that is safe to use on this phone, if you get any ideas of a good car adapter for this phone, that would be awesome.

3. cerberusss

cerberusss Member
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    In the end, I got an official Samsung car charger. I got it secondhand off of eBay, so it's still affordable. Works perfect, and I didn't get any of the problems mentioned earlier!

4. Dodge34

Dodge34 Newbie
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Laval, Qu
    Will a Ipod/Iphone USB to car adapter work without problems, I'm considering getting one since it got 2 USB ports on it that could be awesome since I also have Ipod that I need to charge and my father car as only 1 single plug for this kind of tech (old Toyota Camry 2004)

5. Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Should work fine, you will just need data cable of Galaxy Gio.

6. Dodge34

Dodge34 Newbie
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Laval, Qu
    Data cable is using mini-usb so any mini-usb cable should do the trick, or maybe I'm wrong on this.

7. Ijaz Ahmed

Ijaz Ahmed Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    AFAIK - Samsung Gio uses micro-USB cable, any micro-USB cable should work, I am personally using a cable for a Nokia phone.

8. FrizzleZA

FrizzleZA Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2011
    The only important thing to look out for when looking for a charger is to make sure that the voltage and current supplied by the charger is similar to that required for the phone. Lower current is fine (5-20%) but higher is not preferable. With voltage you can err on about 5% on either side. Lower current will simply charge it slower.