1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cheap phone with latest Android version or top brand with older version

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Robin Schweitzer, May 26, 2020.

1. Robin Schweitzer

Hi, help needed. On eBay there isa non brand name phone with Android version 9, and a Samsung phone, second hand, with Android 6. Please advise the advantages and disadvantages of both. If possible, please elaborate on how long support lasts for phones, how long after support stops apps stop working.
    Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I would never buy a no name brand product. No support, no updates.
    I wouldn't even buy the older phone.
    Motorola makes a great up to date phone with a great battery and storage space, in the Moto G7 Power, or Play versions, under 200 dollars.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/moto-g7-power,review-6340.html

tube517 and Deleted User like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I wouldn't get Android 6. Is it a high end Samsung like a Note or S series.
    Which country are you in?
    How much do you want to spend. Are performance, features or display important to you.

Motorola and Nokia, for example, have good / great new devices which will have 1 to 2 Android OS updates after Android 10 now or due, and 2 to three years of monthly security updates.

mikedt and Dannydet like this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I missed some of your question. Apps will continue to work unless storage, display and performance limit some apps and app developers updates from continuing on your device. I had a Motorola on Android 7.0 until last week and it worked great. Security patches ended in 2017 or 2018.
    You are heading into battery life problems unless removable replacements are available.
    I was considering a used Moto G6S+ or new budget Nokia 5 3.

mikedt likes this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

What kind of budget limit do you have? If you're trying to buy a cheap phone you have to lower your expectations and be aware of the necessary compromises.
    -- If you buy a little-known brand phone you're taking a big risk it's a substandard phonethat will most likely have no tech support if you need it later. It will also be less likely to have any substantive online support.
    -- If you buy an older, brand-name or pre-owned phone running an already unsupported version of Android, the phone itself may be fine but the operating system is dated and no longer receiving any security updates. At the very least be very wary of what you do online, and very, very judicious about what apps you install. Today's Internet is a really hazardous mess so you'll be using a device that has security and privacy issues.
    -- Ebay is a great source for significant deals, but you do have to careful who you're buying stuff from. Smartphone deals are a big business for scammers so a lot of people think they're getting a bargain but end up with phone that's barely working, or blacklisted, or FRP locked. Be sure to buy only from reputable sellers.
    -- You can get buy budget phones for under $300 that will have a warranty and are suitable for most consumer needs as a day-to-day phone:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-android-phone/
    The Moto G7 Play is under $200 with a respectable feature set:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/moto-g7-play-review/

Deleted User and Dannydet like this.
  6. Robin Schweitzer

Just in case I didn't say earlier: budget fifty dollars, no seriously! Phone will only work as tablet. The Samsung I am interested in is a s6 but it doesn't mention which version of Android. It's a private seller. At that price I'd be happy if it lasted two years. For fifty dollars the disappointment of a bad purchase is less.

7. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Roll the dice...