1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cheap portable generator

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm looking for one that wouldn't run on diesel. Renewable energy would be good. Solar would be great. It would have to be small.

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Good luck in your quest. No matter size or fuel, number one consideration should be the amount of demand you will place on the generator. That should be your priority when shopping. I've seen small units that sustain a small amount of power but they were gas fueled. Coleman made a great small unit years ago.

3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

It shouldn't be too much. Mostly I would want to keep the fridge and lights on, maybe ac or microwave. It would also be nice to charge a phone or two. There might be a fan or oven, but probably not both at the same time.

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  4. olbriar

olbriar  

Taken from the net for you. Here is a link to calculate your wattage usage desires to give you an idea of how large a generator you will need. Good luck

MoodyBlues, Dannydet and Rgarner like this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Thanks for that chart, but I have no idea how to calculate wattage etc. I have only a vague notion of how much energy it would take to run those items. I guess it would be a good idea to have as few on at a time as possible.

6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Rgarner likes this.
  7. olbriar

olbriar  

To use the calculator I linked to, just check the items you wish to supply with a generator and the number of each and a good estimate of Kw is provided when you click calculate at the bottom of the calculator. It might not be exact but will give you a fair guess on what you need. A small window AC, 4 incandescent lights, and a refrigerator yields a 3.8 Kw generator as its estimate.

Rgarner likes this.