• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheap Tablet As SD Reader?

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
I'm on an automobile dashcam kick and the camera that I am using does not have a screen.

It uses full-size Class 10 SD cards.

What I'd like is to be able to do is keep an Android tablet in the glove box and, when the need to show somebody what the dash cam recently recorded arises, whip out the tablet, insert the cam's SD card, and browse.

Anything under $100, I call "Cheap".

I'd go higher... but only if necessary.

I'd use my 5" Samsung Note, but the micro-usb port seems tb on the way out and it won't maintain a connection long enough to use an OTG cable.

I've got a Samsung 10" tablet that I *could* get a card reader for.... but I think lugging it around in the car all the time will soon get old. I want something I can stash in the glove box and forget - with the charger plugged in to a switched 12v source in the car so it's always ready to go.

Full-sized SD, not micro.

Push comes to shove, maybe I could buy new micro SD cards and put them in adapters.... but I don't know enough to guess whether that could introduce problems and I'd rather stick with plain-vanilla.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones