• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheapest Android phone that plays Angry Birds

dengar

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
Im desperate here. My son discovered Angry Birds on my Droid X and is now as addicted as my wife and I and wont stop asking me for my phone LOL!! Im looking for the cheapest Android phone I can buy on Ebay that has Wifi so I can give it to him to play Angry Birds and a few other games he likes. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Angry Bird addict

Im desperate here. My son discovered Angry Birds on my Droid X and is now as addicted as my wife and I and wont stop asking me for my phone LOL!! Im looking for the cheapest Android phone I can buy on Ebay that has Wifi so I can give it to him to play Angry Birds and a few other games he likes. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Angry Bird addict

Simple solution. Say no.

Upvote 0
I have a Motorola Droid OC'd to 1.1GHz and it plays flawlessly.

I turned the clock down to 500MHz (stock is 550) and it didn't run very good.

Turned the clock to 800MHz and it works great as well.

So, you can find a used Motorola Droid for about $150 and if you root/overclock it, you'll be okay. That is probably the cheapest you can get off IMO.

Upvote 0
Its my son, and I love my son. That should explain everything there.

I didnt know the Ipod touches are that cheap now. Thanks for the suggestion. thats definitely way to go. :D

I know you love your son, but I'm speaking with first hand knowledge here, if you love your son for the long haul, it's best just to tell him no. If you want more info on my personal experience PM me.

Upvote 0
That or you know... get him an older, slightly used ipod touch. That was the platform angry birds started on...it's also cheaper to do that because $80 (maybe less) > $150-200.

I saw a first generation 8GB iPod Touch with a cracked screen go for $70 on ebay...Seems that even badly beaten up models (no cracked screens) are going for at least $100.

If you want an iPod Touch in good condition (regardless of generation) you are probably looking at more like $110-$125. Just FYI

Upvote 0
I know you love your son, but I'm speaking with first hand knowledge here, if you love your son for the long haul, it's best just to tell him no. If you want more info on my personal experience PM me.

I totally get you here Iowa...but not all personal circumstances are the same.

My 6 year old son is really into electronics and whether it is because of a game he wants to play, a youtube video he wants to watch (annoying orange is popular with them :D)...I think it is important to encourage it.

My 8 year old daughter is really into books so I try to feed that as well. Even talking about a Kindle for her because she takes books with her EVERYWHERE she goes...might as well mix some tech in with it!

Not taking away from your experiences...just saying that saying "yes" isn't always a bad thing. Making them appreciate what they have is important however ;)

Upvote 0
but but but.... he won't be the 'cool' dad if he says no to his kid

remember, electronics make good babysitters so parents don't have to deal with them or their questions all the time.

Where did you read that he wanted to buy a device for his son so he wouldn't have to "deal" with him? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Upvote 0
but but but.... he won't be the 'cool' dad if he says no to his kid

remember, electronics make good babysitters so parents don't have to deal with them or their questions all the time.

Okay friend i am gonna try be polite here buddy...

This is not a nice bunch of comments you have said here... the person that started this thread called dengar just wanted to know how to get a cheap android device capable of angry birds game to play on for his / her son...try be polite dude and well spirited friend...it is fine that you don't agree with dengar here but don't be rude....you may voice your opinion of course but with respect please...

Keep well dude and i know it's hard but...try be polite okay?

I got my previous post removed for not being polite so be nice friend...

Stinky

Upvote 0
It works on all android phones but it's better on the NEXT gen phones. With the slower processors you get the crappy white terrain/ledges and certain levels lag so bad that it becomes unplayable.

Any of these should be a good choice; Original Droid, Droid X, D2, Desire, EVO, Galaxy S line, Incredible, G2, Nexus, X10 and most other 1Ghz devices

I would stay away from; the G1, Cliq, Cliq XT, Backflip, Hero, Eris, Behold II, Mytouch, Zio, Ally, Devour and other older devices.

Not sure about the Aria, Wildfire, or Mytouch Slide. These seem to be in between devices

Upvote 0
It works on all android phones but it's better on the NEXT gen phones. With the slower processors you get the crappy white terrain/ledges and certain levels lag so bad that it becomes unplayable.

Any of these should be a good choice; Original Droid, Droid X, D2, Desire, EVO, Galaxy S line, Incredible, G2, Nexus, X10 and most other 1Ghz devices

I would stay away from; the G1, Cliq, Cliq XT, Backflip, Hero, Eris, Behold II, Mytouch, Zio, Ally, Devour and other older devices.

Not sure about the Aria, Wildfire, or Mytouch Slide. These seem to be in between devices

Why? It's not really a CPU or GPU intensive game. My Samsung moment handles the game Angry Birds just fine, and so will other similarly specced phones.

Upvote 0
Why? It's not really a CPU or GPU intensive game. My Samsung moment handles the game Angry Birds just fine, and so will other similarly specced phones.

he is right...

my hero.. overclocked at 691.. and CM6 Froyo... has problems. It dont show the terrain.. and a little lag.. and force closes..

I think it is the low memorry. and slow CPU. combination.

The moment has faster CPU.. and depending on how many apps you have installed.. you might have more memory for running apps.

Upvote 0
he is right...

my hero.. overclocked at 691.. and CM6 Froyo... has problems. It dont show the terrain.. and a little lag.. and force closes..

I think it is the low memorry. and slow CPU. combination.

The moment has faster CPU.. and depending on how many apps you have installed.. you might have more memory for running apps.

Odd!

Maybe it's because I don't have the Sprint bloatware on my Samsung Moment.

Come to think of it, I also have OpenGL installed as well which doesn't come with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones