1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Cheapest Android tablet available?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HippieWitch, Mar 31, 2013.

1. HippieWitch

HippieWitch Member

Mar 28, 2013
    So what's the cheapest Android tablet available? I use a Lenovo IdeaTab A2107A-F, which was $120 roughly, but I want to know the cheapest out there. I'm having the itch to develope a new rom and figure I'll start with the cheapest tablet so I don't have to worry about stepping on someone else's toes.

Advertisement

2. HippieWitch

HippieWitch Member

Mar 28, 2013
    By cheapest, I mean in the $20 range. I know they aren't high spec'd at that price but in need something new to toy with.

3. pokryshkin

pokryshkin New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    For example: howtochooseandroid.com (sorry, i'm a newbie and i can not use links)
    choose "geek" and sort by price

HippieWitch likes this.
  4. HippieWitch

HippieWitch Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Thanks for the link, but those prices are over the $50 mark. Good stuff though.

5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Hi HippyWitch... have you checked eBay? You can always sort by lowest price first. Even then: $20 for an Android Tablet? That's a really low-ball price for anything electronic that works decently. In my experience I usually get what I pay for: I guess I'm just concerned that if you DO find a $20 tablet, it may cause you more frustration than enjoyment.

My 0.02, of course, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your search :)

HippieWitch likes this.
  6. HippieWitch

HippieWitch Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. I totally forgot about ebay. Yes, a tablet that cheap may be more headache than usable, but I'm looking for the cheap ones to use in projects. Like if the tablet can be used as a USB host, then external memory can be used to make a digital jukebox, things like that. Battery life doesn't matter since it would be hardwired to a power source.

For enjoyment though, I have my Lenovo IdeaTab A2107A-F tablet. Doesn't everything I need with a very responsive touchscreen and hd video. I'm doing a rom for it right now so hopefully I will be able to improve it even more.

7. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Doubt you'll find a tablet for $20 unless it's for parts only. Even Android sticks cost around $30-40 or so. You'd likely need to increase your budget to around $50 if you want a tablet that works (and probably pretty slowly at that).

8. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Cheapest is relative. I can buy Android tablets for around 16.00 each, in shipping container quantities of I think, 6,000 units.

Cheapest is also a troublesome term in that you get what you pay for and cheap often means very expensive compared to spending just a little more.

I suggest saving your money and wait until the prices drop. They will, as new models are introduced.

ardchoille likes this.
  9. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    We must remember that, when it comes to android devices, we get what we paid for. A $50 tablet will likely have a resistive touch screen rather than a capacitive touch screen. I had a cheap android tablet with a resistive touch screen and it was horrible, tapping and pressing was iffy, was better with a stylus.. and the CPU was slow. Cheap tablets will have cheap hardware and the android experience will more than likely suffer.

I feel the cheapest tablet that provides a good android experience is the Nexus 7 @ $200.00. You might find something cheaper, but always check the hardware before purchase.