• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Cheapest Droid X Car Mount

I went to BestBuy the other day to get the Arkon mount but they did not have it in-store or in their system so I could order it into the store. I was sent to the GPS station and found this:

Rocketfish™ Mobile Windshield Mount for Select Portable GPS Receivers - Black : Rocketfish

MUCH better quality than the Arkon and it's $19.99 also. The suction cup is much more sturdy than on my old trusty TomTom and the arm is super stiff, but flexible in all directions. The ball-mount for the detachable mounting part has an adjusting screw-in mechanism that holds it tight. There's some vibration, but I'm 99% sure it's because I drive a tiny sports car with basically 0 movement on the springs. Here's link to pictures (I'm using my Luxmo case to show how the phone fits cause I have no other means of taking pictures; also, I realized that my lens was smudged so the pictures are kind of grainy)

Flickr: atiroch's Photostream

Nice find! Now I just need to go see if I can find a bike mount for it. That is one of the appeal parts about the Arkon mount for me. Other than that, it does appear that it would be easier to position than the Arkon window mount. I am curious though about your quality comparison w/ the Arkon mount. Have you done a hands-on w/ the Arkon mount(s) so that you can accurately compare the quality?

The only thing that worries me abt that mount is the bendable arm: I know you said it's very sturdy and stays where you put it, but I can't help but be concerned that it would start to unbend if the road got a bit bumpy. I would definitely want to have this in my hands before buying.

EDIT: Just did a bit of looking and found some reviews at the BestBuy website. Looks like the jiggle is b/c of the long arm (based on one of the reviews) and there is another review discussing the bike mount (not good). Check it out the reviews for yourself: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...lack/9384668.p?id=1218097160642&skuId=9384668

Upvote 0
The Droid X sucks down the battery very fast when used in cardock mode as the GPS stays on. This is the reason I got the stock dock for $39. I can't be messing with the power cable seperately every time I use a universal dock. Need to slide in the dock and be done with it.

Now if someone would just come out with a case that fits correctly with the case sleeve adapator removed. The RocketFish case has been shown to work if you modify the dock, but since it wasn't designed with the dock in mind, the incorrect alignment on the USB port will wear it out very quickly.

Upvote 0
The Droid X sucks down the battery very fast when used in cardock mode as the GPS stays on. This is the reason I got the stock dock for $39. I can't be messing with the power cable seperately every time I use a universal dock. Need to slide in the dock and be done with it.
That's cool for you, but for people on a budget that just dropped $200 bones or more for the phone, $40 car mount can be tough to swallow. A mount like the Mega Grip is a great deal for $15 to $25. The windshield mount has wire catchers, so just attach your car charger and you're good.

Upvote 0
Nice find! Now I just need to go see if I can find a bike mount for it. That is one of the appeal parts about the Arkon mount for me. Other than that, it does appear that it would be easier to position than the Arkon window mount. I am curious though about your quality comparison w/ the Arkon mount. Have you done a hands-on w/ the Arkon mount(s) so that you can accurately compare the quality?

The only thing that worries me abt that mount is the bendable arm: I know you said it's very sturdy and stays where you put it, but I can't help but be concerned that it would start to unbend if the road got a bit bumpy. I would definitely want to have this in my hands before buying.

EDIT: Just did a bit of looking and found some reviews at the BestBuy website. Looks like the jiggle is b/c of the long arm (based on one of the reviews) and there is another review discussing the bike mount (not good). Check it out the reviews for yourself: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...lack/9384668.p?id=1218097160642&skuId=9384668

I wanted to get the Arkon initially but they didn't have it in-store so I can't compare them.
As for the bendable arm, I drive pretty windy and bumpy roads in my Tiburon and it stays in place even in that case. Only time will tell if it'll be the same in 6 months though.
Another thing is that, in the case, the Aux cable won't fit into the jack of the DX so i'm using the dock without a case, and I have to lock it in one notch lower than with the case. It's a little hard to get out but I might get an adapter like the first-gen iPhones had to have because of Apple's "stellar" design.

Upvote 0
I wanted to get the Arkon initially but they didn't have it in-store so I can't compare them.
As for the bendable arm, I drive pretty windy and bumpy roads in my Tiburon and it stays in place even in that case. Only time will tell if it'll be the same in 6 months though.
Another thing is that, in the case, the Aux cable won't fit into the jack of the DX so i'm using the dock without a case, and I have to lock it in one notch lower than with the case. It's a little hard to get out but I might get an adapter like the first-gen iPhones had to have because of Apple's "stellar" design.
The Rocketfish mount looks eerily like Bracketron's mounts, which I'm not a fan of. Why? Because you need to pump the lever on the side to open the grip arms. For the Arkon Mega Grip mounts, you just push the button on the side and they pop open. The legs on the Bracketron aren't completely adjustable either, they just flip out.

Check them out for yourself:
YouTube - Motorola Droid X Mount | Arkon Mega Grip Car Mounts and Holder for Droid X

YouTube - Bracketron's Grip-iT Car Vent Mount -- Features & Installation

Reactions: Mamba24
Upvote 0
Turn the phone over and the magnet goes right at the end of the battery door in the middle. Placement need not be exact, or even right against the phone. I was going to drill out a hole in my M2 mount, but ended up just applying a dab of hot glue to the magnet and sticking it on the back since you can't see it anyway. Just used a magnet out of a refrigerator clip.

I'm not clear on why having the "X" go into car mode automatically is so important when using the shortcut for "cardock" appears to do the same thing. I haven't mounted mine yet so maybe there's something I'm not aware of.

Upvote 0
Got 5 bucks!

Car Holder For iPhone iPod Cell Phone GPS MP4, Adjustable - Meritline.com

This thing works GREAT for the Droid X. The suction cup sticks to the window fine. The 360 degree movement of the mount will stay in place once it is positioned. The side of the grip with the cushion is spring mounted and expanded about half an inch and accommodates the Droid X no problem. It doesn't interfere with the Droid X's camera or power plug while mounted!

Meritline doesn't charge sales tax and they have free shipping on most items. Unfortunately most items ship direct from China so it will take a couple of weeks to get it. I love mine.

Upvote 0
I like the verizon dock, but I am notorious for dropping my phones, getting out of my jeep. My concern is if you can use a case and that dock at the same time. Looked at it at the store and it seemed to be a tight fit as is without a case.

I could do what i did with my zune and made a dock using the home a/v kit that it had. Might fab something up this time around as well.

But if anyone has experience with a case and the doc, lemme know.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones