1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cheapest GSM provider

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Cronis, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Cronis

Cronis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Hey guys as the title suggests I'm basically looking for the cheapest plan I can find for my fiance. She almost never uses her phone (trying to change this a little) and even keeps it off for most of the day. She did seem open to txting a little if I could find her a plan thats not too much more expensive then what she is paying for her current tracphone.

I would like to get her a decent little smartphone (she has really small hands) So I am thinking the Nokia Lumia 520 might be a good fit. Can get it for $45 brand new unlocked which seems like a pretty decent deal considering the specs. But that does lock me into a GSM provider/MVNO.

So I am looking for something in the prepaid/pay as you go catagory for around 10-15 a month. she uses around 40 mins a month and we will probably send under 300 txts. Web use will probably be non to very little (google maps at most).

I was looking at freedom pop for a bit but I really do not like what I am reading about their voice service. When we do use the phone I would rather it did not have a delay (seems common with voip) as we try to talk.

I would be open to sprint/CDMA networks if I could get a decent phone on them for fairly low cost.

Advertisement

2. ThatonedudexP

ThatonedudexP Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Pre-service elementary teacher
    Tennessee, United States
  3. ThatonedudexP

ThatonedudexP Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Pre-service elementary teacher
    Tennessee, United States
  4. Cronis

Cronis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Hmm ting looks interesting but they are a sprint mvno so I would need to find a decent phone to go with it.

Any of you had much experience with ptel?

https://www.ptel.com/

Operates on T-Mobile their pay as you go plan seems like it might be just what she needs and we can just adjust how much we spend to how much she uses. Might give that a try with the Lumia 520.

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Lyca Mobile is another one you can check out, they have cheap pay as you go rates and use T-Mobile.