1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Cheapest new (not used/refurb) T-Mobile phone?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by ChaunceyK, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member

[Debated whether to post here or in Deals, but since I've got T-Mobile, I chose here.]

So, I've had a Samsung Galaxy On5 for a while now, got it new on sale for $50 at the time. And now I have some Christmas money, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of any similarly priced T-Mobile compatible phones that would be an improvement over my On5.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member

Ok, in doing my research, I've found the LG Rebel 4 at a good price. It's identical to my current specs, except for the doubled RAM & ROM (which is what I'm most looking for).

Any opinions? Would this be a reliable phone? I really don't need anything high-end, just want something cheap but with more ROM.

3. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member

Just found it for half the price. It says it's GSM, so I should be good, right?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i would not expect much from this device. with electronics you get what you pay for.....IMHO

MrJavi and mikedt like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That's a Straight Talk phone, which is very likely locked. You wanted T-Mobile didn't you, or are you happy to change carriers? This phone is very basic, probably aright for calls, messaging, media playing. and a few apps that aren't too demanding.

#5 mikedt, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  6. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member

Yes, I want to stick with T-Mobile. I tried to do my homework and I thought that as long as it's GSM with a Nano Sim slot, it would still work with T-Mobile. But I wasn't 100% positive, which is why I asked if I'd be good with it.

I have zero ego on this, because I know enough to know I don't know everything. If I'm misunderstanding something, I want to learn what it is for future reference.

mikedt likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Carrier branded phones are usually SIM-locked to their particular networks. I think you either need to buy a phone that's T-Mobile, or an unlocked phone.

Just about all phones these days are GSM, as well as 3G and 4G. 2G/GSM is going away, and I believe some carriers may have already turned-off their GSM networks. What's actually available to you in the US and is T-Mobile compatible, I don't really know for certain, I'm in China. :D Have a look at other phones that Walmart are selling?

8. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Do you want T-Mobile directly, or just any prepaid carrier that uses T-Mobile? That phone is locked to Walmart Family Mobile which uses T-Mobile towers, but you wouldn't be able to activate it directly on T-Mobile.

In the specs it says CDMA-V which means it uses Verizon towers.

9. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member

I did see that, but in the About This Item section, it says "This gsm prepaid phone" in addition to that. I could be entirely wrong about it, but that gave me the impression that the phone could be used on either network.

Please let me know if that's incorrect, because I have the half-price phone on hold at a store, and I don't want to waste my time on something that I'm definitely wrong about.

10. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

The box in the picture has a red coverage map, which is used for Verizon. That and it saying CDMA-V makes it unlikely to use T-Mobile.

Either way, it will be locked to Straight Talk so if you are getting service directly from T-Mobile it won't activate.

11. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member

Well, that is disappointing, given the price. But the Walmart Family version specifically says it uses the T-Mobile network, and its what I bought last time 3 years ago when I got the Samsung Galaxy On5 without any issues.