1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cheapest Used Handset with Wireless Hotspot Tethering Enabled - all Froyo Handsets?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mikeecix, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mikeecix

mikeecix Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    Hi folks,

Currently travelling the US with my European HTC Desire handset but limited to Edge speeds rather than 3G as the 3G frequencies in Europe are different (I wish they'd make a dual-3G handset).

I was thinking of picking-up a cheap, used US 3G handset but wondered which is going to be the cheapest and also have the Wireless hotspot feature enabled (am I limited to Froyo-spec handsets and above and does Froyo have this enabled by default or is it Carrier specific?)

Will be using my AT&T sim in the handset and as this is only going to be used for data, am not looking for any top-end features - just as long as the wifi/3G performance is reliable.

Will be looking at Ebay for handsets so any recommendations would be appreciated...

Cheers,

-Mikee-

Advertisement

2. asb123

asb123 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Get a rooted g1 install cyanogen mod. This will be VERY cheap.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    What's the frequency of your Desire? If it has 1700Htz and 2100Htz frequency for UMTS, you can use it on Tmobile. If you have your phone unlock, you can pick between AT&T or Tmobile.

How long will you be in the USA? If it is more than a month, Tmobile is the better choice as it has the unlimited everything deal that you pay month over month (no contract).