• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Check Book/Finance App?

messlah

Lurker
Dec 9, 2009
on my old phone (palm treo 755) i had a checkbook app that i used daily. i have tried several finance apps on the market, but none seem to do what i want. i have tried the following:

checkbook genius
easymoney
checkbook
dgmoney

with the old program i could create budgets, set up future payments/deposits, show & hide transactions from the transaction list (ie hide cleared items) and display acct balance on a specific day.

the apps i've tried so far do make decent checkbook registers, but i miss the flexibility of my old app. anyone know of or have experience with another app that could do all this? i have no problem paying for an app that does all this.

just an update:

financisto is pretty decent. not as polished as firewallet, but very flexible. the reports and budget planning are very handy. it is almost a little more than what i was looking for.

firewallet is awesome. it has pretty much everything i was looking for. very clean and straight forward. good example of a customizable checkbook app. i will be using this as my checkbook register app for now.

Upvote 0
I am hoping Mint creates an app for the Android.

Let me know if you find a good finance app.

Mint.com has already said that they are (or will be) working on an Android app. I don't remember where I read it, but it's supposed to be out sometime next year. I can't wait, this is killer, and something that will make a lot of Android users very happy. Along with Flash and 2.1, 2010 should be a great year for Droid owners.

Upvote 0
I used their program on my last phone and it worked for what I needed.
I could email a qif from it to my computer and import it to program and keep records without having to enter it again. I contacted them and they are developing it for Android now. Out early the year. Not sure what features it will have. Meanwhile I am using Checkbook Genius and keeping my eyes open.

Upvote 0
on my old phone (palm treo 755) i had a checkbook app that i used daily.

I would like to offer you to look at Cashew - the personal finance manager that has been recently released by our team.

Android Forums Announcement
Cashew web site

Cashew is available on Android Market (besides you can find it on few alternative markets and directly from Cashew web site).

However, as I learned from your message you use almost every feature of a typical (or I would rather said advanced) personal finance manager application. Cashew can not offer all these features at the moment. It supports pretty complete set of account management features, basic transactions management (without splits and scheduled transactions), multiple currencies, categories hierarchy, and reports.

You can find more information about Cashew in User's Manual.

We are going to continue working on Cashew, and currently collecting feedback from our users to prioritize out TODO list. We highly appreciate comments from advances personal finance management applications users, like you. So if you have a spare time we would like to ask you to look at Cashew and give us a feedback (we didn't have a possibility to test the application on the Motorola Droid, however we hope it should run there pretty good).

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
I would like to offer you to look at Cashew - the personal finance manager that has been recently released by our team.

Android Forums Announcement
Cashew web site

Cashew is available on Android Market (besides you can find it on few alternative markets and directly from Cashew web site).

However, as I learned from your message you use almost every feature of a typical (or I would rather said advanced) personal finance manager application. Cashew can not offer all these features at the moment. It supports pretty complete set of account management features, basic transactions management (without splits and scheduled transactions), multiple currencies, categories hierarchy, and reports.

You can find more information about Cashew in User's Manual.

We are going to continue working on Cashew, and currently collecting feedback from our users to prioritize out TODO list. We highly appreciate comments from advances personal finance management applications users, like you. So if you have a spare time we would like to ask you to look at Cashew and give us a feedback (we didn't have a possibility to test the application on the Motorola Droid, however we hope it should run there pretty good).

Thank you in advance.
First off, that users manual is a fine example of great end user documentation. Other android dev's, take note. :)

Can you guys implement an export feature so that we can then import the data into finance software on our computers?

Upvote 0
First off, that users manual is a fine example of great end user documentation. Other android dev's, take note. :)
Thank you for appreciating our work! :)

Can you guys implement an export feature so that we can then import the data into finance software on our computers?
Export/import functionality is already in our todo list for one of the nearest versions. However, it is pretty loosely defined at the moment. We haven't decided yet what it should look like. Should we support basic CSV, or something more advanced like QIF or OFX. So any input on this is welcome.

Upvote 0
Is that is syncs with my banks website to have up to date account info. I really hate having to put in every $2.13 transaction I make. A Mint app on the way makes me very happy.

It would be even better if I could transfer funds from one account to another but I can understand the security issues with that feature.

Any apps that can do either of these features?

Upvote 0
I would argue that most people do not need to know how much money they have immediately, but rather how much money they will have at the end of the week, 2 weeks, or month, depending on their payperiod. I have tried Firewallet, DailyCash Pro, EasyMoney, and Loot and not a single one of these programs correctly projects balances based on reoccurring payments. I find this frustrating, because it is a simple algorithm to figure out a balance on any date...if a gradeschooler can do it, a smartphone should be able to. If anyone knows of such a program, please let me know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I would argue that most people do not need to know how much money they have immediately, but rather how much money they will have at the end of the week, 2 weeks, or month, depending on their payperiod. I have tried Firewallet, DailyCash Pro, EasyMoney, and Loot and not a single one of these programs correctly projects balances based on reoccurring payments. I find this frustrating, because it is a simple algorithm to figure out a balance on any date...if a gradeschooler can do it, a smartphone should be able to. If anyone knows of such a program, please let me know. Thanks.

AMEN!!!

This is exactly how I feel. I can log in to my bank to see how much money I have. But if often has not included a transaction or two. Ergo I am looking for a checkbook program.
The most important thing is to be able to look at the end of the week, month, etc., and see how much will be there after all my usual repeating payments, so I know if it's OK to spend X dollars now. Just knowing how much I have now doesn't help.

Can somebody please implement this?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

I know how much money will have at the end of the month. Nada :)

Upvote 0
I would love a very simple password protected checkbook app that allows me to name the accounts and subtract when I make purchases or add when I have extra money come in but allows me to do a dry run first to see how much you would have left after....then once you make the purchase it shows how your budget is doing and it also allows you to increase or decrease your budget at anytime. I would like the app to sync up to my bank account in a split screen and show banks view and the other side would be apps view because it takes days sometimes weeks for money to come out of the bank so they are not as accurate as an app would be. Also the ability to remove things that I'm not going to use that others may. Such as stuff with stocks and whatknot.

Upvote 0
In a few weeks, I will be starting development on a Checkbook app (I am at college, and have finals this week). I will update you all when it is finished.

I am working on something like this, but I am working on my last semester of college so I have been rather busy. I will let you know if and when I finish it.
i hope you don't procrastinate with your schoolwork that bad! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones