• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Check On Me

Paladyr

Lurker
Apr 29, 2010
Hey I just released an app called Check On Me that I developed because I'm a single dad with a three year old who is too young to pick up a phone and call for help if something were to happen to me. Check On Me detects motion/activity on my phone and if it detects none for an hour during times I should be awake, it will text an emergency contact asking them to check on me to make sure I'm okay. This application would also be great for use with people who are older and living by themselves. The next release will include the ability to text the person with a code and have the phone send back its location. Thanks for looking!

Great idea! This would be great for elderly people too! One question though, what happens if you sleep with the app working?

That is a good thought, accounting for a nap. I've thought about a "snooze" button to tell the program not to check on the person for x amount of time but was waiting to hear what kind of features people wanted. I think you just picked the next feature!

Currently if you take a nap outside of normal sleeping hours, it would alert your emergency contact. The user has the ability to uncheck the current day (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc..) before they lay down, then when they wake up, turn it back on. That opens up the possibility for human error though so I will work on a snooze button. Thanks for the post!

Upvote 0
Neat idea. I would suggest that the program give an sound/vibe/visual warning a few minutes prior to sending a text. Don't want to unnecessarily scare someone into thinking that something is wrong.

It does! I made that enhancement shortly after the initial release for just that reason :). It was texting my friend and I didn't realize it had been an hour. Check On Me, 15 minutes before sending the text will light up and (optionally) make a beeping sound to alert you the phone has been motionless and will soon text your emergency contact.

I've finished the snooze button feature and will be releasing it shortly!

Upvote 0
Nice idea. Couldn't seem to find it on Market Place. Is it there?

Something else you might want to consider adding. For lack of a better word, a panic button. A widget maybe, that would allow you to instantly send an alert message. For any reason you need immediate help and can't dial the phone or text. And don't or can't wait for the timeout before it's sent.

Upvote 0
Nice idea. Couldn't seem to find it on Market Place. Is it there?

Something else you might want to consider adding. For lack of a better word, a panic button. A widget maybe, that would allow you to instantly send an alert message. For any reason you need immediate help and can't dial the phone or text. And don't or can't wait for the timeout before it's sent.

Good call on the panic button, I'll make that next on the list.

You may not be able to find it because it requires os 2.0.1 or higher. What phone do you have? If you have a phone that runs on 1.6, is this app something that would interest you? If so, I'll re-write and release for 1.6. Thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0
Hey I just released an app called Check On Me that I developed because I'm a single dad with a three year old who is too young to pick up a phone and call for help if something were to happen to me. Check On Me detects motion/activity on my phone and if it detects none for an hour during times I should be awake, it will text an emergency contact asking them to check on me to make sure I'm okay. This application would also be great for use with people who are older and living by themselves. The next release will include the ability to text the person with a code and have the phone send back its location. Thanks for looking!

I like this idea for older people who live alone. However because most kids dont have a phone, never mind an android phone I think its better to market it for older people rather than younger. Saying than some older people move verry little anyway so a few more settings may be nice.

Other than that it is a fantastic idea.

Upvote 0
I like this idea for older people who live alone. However because most kids dont have a phone, never mind an android phone I think its better to market it for older people rather than younger. Saying than some older people move verry little anyway so a few more settings may be nice.

Other than that it is a fantastic idea.
The idea, as I understand it, is that since his son can't call for help, the phone will do it automatically. Yeah, it's good for older people, but it can actually be used for several reasons. For example, if I'm out riding my motorcycle and end up going into a ditch or something where I am not seen by anyone else and maybe I'm knocked unconscious, it would be nice to have the program send a text with my GPS coordinates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones