1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Checkerboards while using stock browser

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by liketoeat, Aug 30, 2011.

1. liketoeat

liketoeat Lurker

Hi everyone. I just bought a sgs2 two days ago and i love it. However, when i pan through certain webpages, especially those that have flash ads, checkerboards will appear. This mainly happens when i scroll through the page or when i zoom out of an item. These checkerboards will appear for around 1-1.5 seconds. Over time, this can get quite irritating. However everything else such as scrolling, zooming and loading are excellent. It only happens when i use the stock gingerbread browser. When i use dolphin hd, i do not experience such issues. However, i prefer to use the stock browser. Is there any fix to this problem? Or should i send it back to a service center? Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks alot in advance!

Btw my phone's firmware is kf1

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

there was a thread about this same problem not long back. i think it only happens when the page is loading, which is why u notice it with flash-heavy webpages etc, as they take longer to to load, and u start scrolling before the page is complete. if u wait til it loads, u wont have this problem.. its the same on my browser, nothing wrong with urs :)

liketoeat likes this.
  3. liketoeat

liketoeat Lurker

Hey thanks alot for the reply! But when even after the phone finishes loading websites, checkerboards will show up when i zoom out of an item for almost every website (From non-graphic intensive sites such as google to flash heavy sites such as engadget). Like i previously mentioned, these checkerboards will only occur for around 1-1.5 seconds but it gets quite annoying at times. I downloaded opera mobile and i experience no such problems. It seems that it only happens to the stock gingerbread browser. Is this also normal? Or am i just too fussy?

Thanks alot in advance!

4. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

yes, ive seen it only with the stock browser, not with opera or dolphin..and i, like u, prefer the clean look of the stock browser so im sticking with it.. not to mention its fast!

however, i do not have this problem when the page is fully loaded. once the loading bar on the address bar goes away, the page is loaded, and i dont see any checkerboards watever i do (scroll, zoom, etc) when its loading, i see it for 1.5 seconds like u say, before that part of the page loads.. i find it strange that u get it once the page has loaded. maybe u could clear the app data and try again? (settings/applications/manage applications, select Internet and clear data) that'll delete ur bookmarks n history etc though.

5. liketoeat

liketoeat Lurker

Thks alot for the reply! I reset the data in the web browser and now when i pinch to zoom its perfectly ok. But when it is zoomed in and i double tap to zoom out, checkerboards will appear for around 0.5-1 second (improvement compared to previous times). It only happens with the stock browser. Any help? Thanks!

Btw, there's another website that states my problem ([Q] browser chequer boarding - xda-developers)

6. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

ah i see. it seems like its not a problem with the page loading (although it does checkerboard if u dont let the page load first too) but its a problem with how fast the browser renders the page. it'll probably happen sometimes when ur zoomed in and u try scrolling too.. i hardly noticed this though..

i dont seem to be able to find a fix for this, and yes, its definitely stock browser only :)

7. liketoeat

liketoeat Lurker

Thanks for the swift replies! So that means i do not have to sent this phone to the service center?

8. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

oh no, as u can see on that xda thread that u found urself, its not just u having the problem, so dont worry about it ;) if ur really bothered by it, u should try getting used to another browser.. if not, just stick with it, it looks like a problem with the stock browser.. although most of the time, its not really a problem at all :D

9. liketoeat

liketoeat Lurker

Thanks all your help! Really helped me alot

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews