• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Checkin here if your happy with your Gnex and plan on keeping it.

I'm keeping it. Unlocked, rooted and now ROM'd with AXI0M 2.3. Absolutely no issues outside of the speakerphone being too quiet. I have missed some calls/texts/emails even with sound full blast.

@Gapi, having used the Equalizer App, do you fear it will blow your speaker? I would like to find a solution for the quietness of the speakerphone without damaging my phone. I can't help but wonder why they (Samsung) would have decided on such a quiet speakerphone.

It's not the speaker...or at least not *just* the speaker. Put a custom ringtone on there, and it's much louder...or at least it has been for me, and have seen others say so on these forums.

Upvote 0
It's not the speaker...or at least not *just* the speaker. Put a custom ringtone on there, and it's much louder...or at least it has been for me, and have seen others say so on these forums.

Well, a custom ringtone can have its gain boosted (case in point, I had to do this on an old feature phone. The mp3 was quiet, so I re-encoded it with lame and increased the gain and it sounded fine.

A custom ringtone that's loud is probably just being boosted in the encoding, which is probably effectively the same thing as playing the original ringtone over a speaker whose volume was boosted.

Keep in mind at some point doing this (either on the ringtone itself or the speaker) will introduce distortion since you're also amplifying the noise in there not just the actual audio you want to hear.

Upvote 0
I love my phone. Amazing piece of hardware. Mine has had zero bugs. I haven't had any problems with connectivity (I live in Phoenix metro area. lots of 4G here). It's beautiful. Sleek. I found a case and a screen protector that are both amazing (Casemate barely there and XO Skins). All apps I need or want run amazingly. Games are crisp and beautiful. I got my roommate and my mom to buy one as well. Theirs are just as high quality.

I honestly could not be happier.

Upvote 0
Very happy and definitely keeping it! I've had it for over 2 weeks now, unlocked and rooted the first day, and got it customized, and haven't noticed any of the problems I've read about in the complaint threads.

I upgraded from the OG Moto Droid because I liked Stock Android, so after I heard Verizon was finally getting a Nexus phone, I waited a couple months after I was up for an upgrade to get this. A lot of my wonderment at this phone might be because of how much of an upgrade it was from the OG Droid (I'm sure any of the recent phones of the past few months would have seemed very impressive too - I still like the physical specs of the Razr).

The big beautiful screen, the faster processor and 1GB of RAM, the 32GB of storage, its all great! I also appreciate the phone being thinner since there's no slide out keyboard. I can see myself keeping this phone for at least 2 years, maybe longer.

Upvote 0
Got mine at launch enjoying the hell out of it is it perfect no, but it's worlds better then the BB Storm1 I left behind so for me it's perfectly fine.
I have no screen issues like some have camera works great as far as I'm concerned I have a DSLR for the more important photos, Speaker is a bit low but some custom ringtones and volume+ took care of that. Have no connectivity issues 4g is touch and go in some areas but otherwise it's been rock solid. battery life is actually better then I thought it would be considering the size of the screen I get about 5-5.5 hours of straight use that's some web and 2 movies and some you tube should get me thru a normal work day with no problems since I generally use the phone for less then 2 hours total over the course of a ten hour day.

Upvote 0
Wait battery life is superb? What rom and kernel are you running?
Eh, stock and stock.

Here's where I sit right now with my typical use.

Screenshot_2012-01-04-21-17-54.png

Upvote 0
I have not been a big rooter. I rooted my OG Droid almost 2 yrs ago just so I could see it and reverted back.

This phone however is a born to be rooted mutha.

I used Wifi Tether today on 4G and mercy sakes! I had two browsers open tracking GPS units live loading map tiles every time they moved and was doing Google navigation at the same time with Bluetooth on.
She was a tiny bit warmer than the norm, and I had a 2A charge going in and she still slowly gained ground on the battery charge level.

:eek: WoW!

Upvote 0
I am more than pleased with my GNex. I was a bit scared when I ordered mine because I kept reading all these horror stories about getting "lemons" and what not, and I made the mistake of ordering through Radioshack (all to save a few extra $) but I have been nothing but please.

- Speaker sucks, but I rarely use the speaker anyway.
- Haven't noticed any screen issues like I've seen reported (artifacting, washed out, etc)
- Reception has been great other than the 4G outage that happened the day I activated it leaving me phoneless for a day...but that Verizon's problem not the phone.
- Battery is better than I expected. My original plan was to get a Rezound but a friend of mine's dad got one, returned it a week later because of battery life, and got a GNex. Said the battery life was much better so I took a shot with it and I've been pleased for the most part. I do wish the extended battery had been stock, or at least the extended had been more than an extra 350mAh. On the same key, it's a bit annoying putting my phone in my pocket and having 80% battery, and then pulling it out 20 minutes later and having 50% because it's been searching for 4G. Thankfully a data toggle has somewhat solved this for me and I can now average 14-15 hours on a full cycle.

I've got a few other minor complaints just being picky but I am completely pleased with this phone. I feel like I picked a pretty good start for my first smartphone.

Upvote 0
My only real complaint (besides app compatibility) is the slowness of transferring files over USB... but that's not a massive issue. After day two I'm still a little clumsy with the phone regarding it's size (switching from one to two-hand operation or trying to reach with one hand)... however I love the thing and will be keeping it. Getting 15 hours at around 40% with the extended battery right now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my Incredible, as it has a thin cracked so I'd probably want to replace the screen if I'm going to sell it, but for the time being I've had it in airplane mode and have been using it as an MP3 player (still have a few podcasts to get to on it), and every time I look at that phone it just seems tiny to me (next to the Nexus).

Upvote 0
Leaning towards keeping mine.

The ONLY thing stopping me from 100% saying YES is that Im getting some of the vertical banding on light to medium gray screens with low brightness levels. My Fascinate had artifacts on the same color screens, but it was only visible with brightness all the way down, so the GNex is slightly worse. I think its a limitation of the display tech., but obviously there is variance too because some people have NO banding at all.

Everything else is working great....call quality, no dropped data, etc.

Upvote 0
I love mine. It works great as a phone, is super fast, I'm getting a full day out of the battery and after some recent LTE updates in my area the connection is pretty solid all the time. After I root it, I think it will only get better.

Same here... And you need to root it NOW!!! It is soooooo worth it, makes the phone even better. Not a must like the OG Droid but it is easy and nice to have the control. :)

Upvote 0
Same here... And you need to root it NOW!!! It is soooooo worth it, makes the phone even better. Not a must like the OG Droid but it is easy and nice to have the control. :)

I've rooted all my other phones and I probably will root this one as well. I'm not sure why I haven't yet, but for some reason there is something in the back of my mind telling me to wait on it.

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
I've rooted all my other phones and I probably will root this one as well. I'm not sure why I haven't yet, but for some reason there is something in the back of my mind telling me to wait on it.

I think you're doing good by waiting for the rumored OTA's to come board. Ride them out and when the dust settles you will not be re-rooting as often eh?

I have applications that needed to come on board ASAP with the WiFi Teth and the blacked out .apk's in my signature. All of which has made my work much more smoother.

Upvote 0
I have had my GNex for a little over a week now. The imprint from holding an iPhone in my hand for three years has started to fade. Really liking a lot about the phone, the minor things... are just that - minor things. I don't miss having to do the iTunes dance. I will be looking to root it once the dust settles.

Oh, my only gripe with going with this phone is that the proper car dock (that has 3-pin connector) is nowhere to be found. I want it ASAP.

Upvote 0
It's a winner for me. Both me and the wife had an intermittent issue where text boxes would not display keyboard input (although keyboard was working as evidenced by predictive text), but we both haven't seen that one in quite some time. Ninja bug. I've learned how to cope with the speaker volume and am a fully satisfied Nexer.

I'me exceedingly happy with my GNex. However I'm having that same keyboard issue randomly. Didn't get it once the first couple weeks and then it appeared. I actually had the same issue on my DX which drove me totally crazy. Maybe a specific app is causing it but not sure which. Anyone else using handcent sms have the same issue?? I had thought it was the keyboard I was using but it happens on the stock one as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones