1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Checking up on a rumor.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bcltoys, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2009
    Male
    Marine tech
    Maryland
    If on unlimited with Verizon can you still by a phone outright and keep unlimited,I read somewhere they are scrubbing the unlimited plan's from their computer's and forcing people to share everything now. I have two unlimited line's still on 3 g phone's and want to buy two Moto x's .

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

I, in December, changed 2 phones that have unlimited lines with no trouble. Both still have unlimited. Neither went to an X but the actual phone doesn't matter.

I used Verizon's My Account online tool for 1 as it had a new SIM (yours will, the X is a nano SIM) and just changed the SIM for the other.

Unless they changed something in January and didn't tell anyone you should have no trouble.

3. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2012
    I've purchased 2 phones out right and kept my unlimited ... last time was just recently when I switched from the Note 3 to the moto x. Just couldn't resist that $100 promo!

4. JDlawyer

JDlawyer Well-Known Member

As long as you are using a phone you bought outright, you will be ok. A couple of months ago I wanted to add my son to my account so needed to add a line. Bought a Moto X on Cyber Monday, took it to the local Verizon store and they activated the SIM card. No questions asked. Since I bought the phone no need to sign a contract for that line so month to month. As long as you don't change your contract you keep the plan you had.

5. Dmark

Dmark Member
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Were you able to add a line for your son without affecting your unlimited data plan?

6. bixler777

bixler777 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    So Cal
    i've added lines while in the midst of my 'unlimited' contract. the new line WILL be subject to its own 'limitations', in terms of data cost/usage. adding the new line will get the additional $10 fee, plus whatever type of data plan you want for it....but the original line with its grandfathered unlimited data is NOT affected. only the 'new' line will be.

a grandfathered line will 'supposedly' never be revoked UNLESS you buy a SUBSIDIZED phone directly from verizon, because the supsidation is tied to brand NEW two year contract, which effectively wipes out your current 'unlimited' plan, and thus is subject to whatever data package is being offered at the time.

as long as you do NOT purchase a subsidized (discounted) phone directly from verizon, you can swap phones any/every day WITHOUT it effecting your current, ongoing unlimited plan on your phone number. adding a 'new' line has nothing to do with your 'current' line.

7. Funnyusername

Funnyusername Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2012
    Male
    Ways to keep unlimited data plan

1) Buy full retail phones

2) Purchase phone on a dumb phone line and move it over to your line. Example, I have unlimited data. My brother has a non-smartphone. We purchased the moto x over the phone using my brothers dumb line. When the phone arrived at my house, I called and just added the phone we got in the mail to my line.

Also, from the reps I spoke with on the phone, If you just tell them what you want to do, they will help you. The lady I spoke with on VZW said doing this kinda thing was not bad, and they encourage it. If possible.