• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

China blocked MARKET, GMAIL, &GTALK

yojosefo

Oct 9, 2009
Apparently since 13/6 this things stopped working not only for me, but for all android users in China mainland, WTF!, please anyone has info about this problem, anybody knows a workaround or when are we going to get everything back. I even restored my desire, and its a pain to get everything back (calendars, contacts, etc) without being able to log into gmail.

HELP!
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I am SO tired of being stuck behind the GFW of SinoLand.
Can't do SO many things here with my Android device that I'd like to do.
I hate this place ! Civilization has yet to make it to SinoLand.
With this place you never really know what the damn problem is, but problems abound. Is it a poor signal? Is it being blocked? Is my ISP really that bad...today...again? Is the web site actually temporarily down?

Ya just never know......all you know is that it's always EXTREMELY frustrating. Censorship......ya gotta luv it. :-(((((

Upvote 0
With this place you never really know what the damn problem is, but problems abound. Is it a poor signal? Is it being blocked? Is my ISP really that bad...today...again? Is the web site actually temporarily down?

Ya just never know......all you know is that it's always EXTREMELY frustrating. Censorship......ya gotta luv it. :-(((((

Your location says that you are an American expat living in China, did you seriously not expect that level of censorship when you moved there? Of all the countries in the world to relocate to I have to ask why there?

Upvote 0
Wow, here is a dead thread. And three man from sinoland gives it a breath of life. Is sinoland a region in china? I've never heard of it. I have heard there are ways to bypass the chinese censorship if you have the right tech knowhow.

Three man? Did you mean three men?

There are ways to bypass the censorship, BUT it is getting harder. Free VPNs are blocked. Many Paid for VPNs are now blocked. I bought a smart phone to make my life easier, but I've discovered so many friggin apps are blocked. There are ways around these blocks, but seriously, would you want to spend hours rooting your phone or fiddling around on your computer when you got an htc to save you time?

China is shooting itself in the foot by denying its citizens access to technology.

Also, Mr, 'Well I head you can easily get round the blocks...'
Please remember that the GFW is the most sophisticated in the world. It is constantly being updated. It is not there will purposeful holes in it. The government is always working to plug those holes. Also, in order to get around the blocks, you need a good level of English as most VPNs and proxies or information about how to get round the blocks are in English (Chinese sites detailing how to get around the blocks are well, blocked). Most Chinese don't have good English and do just not bother trying to circumnavigate the blocks.

I work as a freelance journo out here, and using the internet for research, even with a VPN is painful these days. It's so slow.

I moved here years ago before the online censorship was this idiotic. It has gotten worse in the past 2 years.

Upvote 0

I hope you're not in China posting this on the internet right now. You could disappear at any moment.

Sadly I'm not joking. What a crap country they have.

Upvote 0
Three man? Did you mean three men?

Nope I actually meant "the man..." (thank you swype)
If you are going to act like a dick make sure you don't just criticize grammar but look at context as well.

There are ways to bypass the censorship, BUT it is getting harder. Free VPNs are blocked. Many Paid for VPNs are now blocked. I bought a smart phone to make my life easier, but I've discovered so many friggin apps are blocked. There are ways around these blocks, but seriously, would you want to spend hours rooting your phone or fiddling around on your computer when you got an htc to save you time?

China is shooting itself in the foot by denying its citizens access to technology.

Also, Mr, 'Well I head you can easily get round the blocks...'
Please remember that the GFW is the most sophisticated in the world. It is constantly being updated. It is not there will purposeful holes in it. The government is always working to plug those holes. Also, in order to get around the blocks, you need a good level of English as most VPNs and proxies or information about how to get round the blocks are in English (Chinese sites detailing how to get around the blocks are well, blocked). Most Chinese don't have good English and do just not bother trying to circumnavigate the blocks.

I work as a freelance journo out here, and using the internet for research, even with a VPN is painful these days. It's so slow.

I moved here years ago before the online censorship was this idiotic. It has gotten worse in the past 2 years.

I never said it was easy to bypass just possible

Upvote 0
Hey Ho,

I'm in China, but I am not a tech geek - more just a tech geek admirer than anything. I would, however, love to get an answer or a solution to this dilemma.

I can access pretty much anything I seem to need through wifi at the moment. This is my second VPN - the first '12vpn', died because of a zealous Chinese government on the 90th anniversary of the Party. They never returned my queries, despite having another 6 months to go on that contract. I know it probably isn't their fault. but no response? from Anusons.... really? Anyway, I am glad I only paid them 30 bucks for the year.

I'm currently using one of the bigger ones for 10 bucks a month.

But I digress - MY DILEMMA - and I should get back on track. Every now and then I want a paid app... Today I wanted cribbage pro online. Despite having a vpn on my phone for wifi, I can't get the damn app because amazon and market are registered with my phone number - Chinese.

Anyone know of a quick easy solution?

Seriously, I want to buy this app and just can't. I really don't think stopping me playing cribbage is what the Communist Party had in mind when creating the Great Wall of China. Damn I love Cribbage. lol.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

So why did you choose to live here in SinoLand? No one is forcing you to live here are they?

Suggest you do what most expats do, rent a VPN. VPN = No GFW censoring.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones