• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help China Desire, Really buggy.

Aiwen

Lurker
Sep 1, 2010
hi Guys,

So I live in China and I bought my Desire here recently. The thing is, I think the android 2.1 that is running on it is dodgy. There is a goapk.com logo that comes up when I turn the phone on. When seems to be some chinese android community website.

The phone is buggy. Sometimes the messages get stuck and continuously scroll to the top. Sometimes when I click messages the task bar appears or it opens the internet browser. Long story short, its pissing me off and I want to reinstall a European version of Android 2.2 on it. I did factory reset it and that didnt work. I also tried to update it to Android 2.2 but it says no new updates available? Does anyone know why this is? It seems to be running some kind of hacked version of Android 2.1 (probably the taiwanese or HK version, cos it has support for only traditional chinese, simplified chinese and English).

Would anyone know how to go about this? Do I have to root it? and where would I get an offical ROM of a European version of Android 2.2?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a million,

Aiwen

Hey Aiwen,

I have that goapk thing on my legend but I'm in Australia. I bought my phone off ebay from someone in HK and it broke down after I installed a HTC OTA update and I sent it back to him for repair as it was under warranty. When he sent it back it came with that goapk installed and my android market was gone and only the goapk market which is useless because all the apps are in Chinese and it doesn't have anything I want. Like an ebay app or a dictionary app or anything like that.

Anyway, I've been scanning forums and it looks as though rooting is the only option and then reinstalling the HTC firmware. I don't know if it will get me back my android market though but I don't know of another option.

Apparently some useful sites to download OTA ROMs are Index of /shipped/Legend/ that's for the legend obviously, but they should have ROMS for the desire also.

And check out TheUnlockr.com - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News! for help in rooting and stuff.

I haven't tried these sites, I'm still gathering the courage to try a root on my phone but if you do root and stuff, please let me know how it went.

Hope I could help,
djnush

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones