• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chinese firmware, no Google.

synesso

Lurker
Jun 23, 2010
I have a Tab 7.7 with Chinese firmware. This is a replacement. I tried putting cyanogenmod on it last year and bricked it.

So now I have my replacement and I'm struggling to understand what I can do with it. There are no google apps installed at all. I downloaded the APK for the play store and it installs, but won't run (no error, just blinks back to "desktop").

There is the ability to install apps via Kies, but there seems to be only 611 apps in total and they're all rubbish. I can't sync with my google account, I can't download VLC or any other useful software. I'm at a loss as to what I should do, but I know I'm not going to risk bricking it again - it was far too easy last time.

Any hints fine people? :smokingsomb:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones