• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chismays Ultimate Galaxy Ace Guide v1.

chismay

Android Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2011
LONDON
www.londonleos.uuuq.com
hi guys I wanted to make a thread about all the information I have so far on the Samsung Galaxy ace,

I will credit the source of the information to each tip.:D

i will not be held responsible for any problems that may arise from following these steps.

SENDING APPS TO SDCARD

you can follow this guide to send most if not all applications to the sd card and you will not have to root to do so

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...-force-install-apps-sd-card-without-root.html

GOOGLE MAPS

if you update your galaxy from any of the stock firmware that you bought the phone with you will have probably been updated with a new version of Google maps when you update Google maps the new version will not allow you to move it to the sd card even using the above command. a way around this is to simply go to Google maps on market and select uninstall updates this will bring you back to the original Google maps version there isnt much difference in the old and new version may be a couple of new labs options other than that it's still the same Google maps some people have even complained that the newer version of Google maps takes longer to get GPS lock.

Going back to the old version of Google maps will then allow you to move it at sdcard once again.

STOCK APPS

stock apps are the general crap ones that you get when you buy the phone we're talking the really rubbish games like bejewelled and breakout also you get some third-party apps that dont really do anything but link you to a website, most of these apps like bejewelled and breakout also Gmail, Samsung apps and allshare can it be removed if you want more space, simply use this file to root your phone by load onto your sdcard then restart the phone by holding down the home and power button button to install from sd, once installed you restart the phone again and hey your root, more details can be found here

TO ROOT AGAIN

to unroot your phone again back to orignal state you can do the same steps but using this file this is the "un-root" .zip

CLEARING THE DATA/LOG

After rooting your phone download Root Explorer or any other explorer that lets you access the internal memory, go to data/log delete all the files, now go to homescreen select the appmanager widget and see how much more internal memory you have :D :D credits to 4peterkh4 for this one

CLEARING THE DALVIK CACHE

Follow the above steps but instead of data/log. go to data/dalvik-cache. delete all the files, "important" after deleting files restart your phone the first restart will take a little longer as android is refreshing its d-cache when finished go to progmanager widget and see even more saved internal memory!!!

IF YOU FOLLOW THESE STEP YOU COULD HAVE THIS MANY APPS WITH THIS MUCH "SPARE" MEMORY!!! YAY!

Is it safe to delete what's in the Dalvik Cache? I've got 67mb worth of files in there?

yup should be fine i deleted everything restarted the phone and bang im at 108mb used internal....this really is immense!!

it hold the onboard data for apps (the bit that doesnt go to sd) but it gets cluttered i you delete everything and restart the phone it will reload the cache with only the apps you have installed.

Upvote 0
I can't get maps to move..

I've uninstalled the updates and it still won't go. Infact now it isn't in any of the three lists on app2sd, so I guess something has happened.

(I have done the tutorial at the top of the forum and successfully moved loads of other apps to sd.)

are you sure you didnt uninstall the app itself?

Upvote 0
ES File explorer does let you access the root files. That's what I use.

mmmm dude i dunno if it does, i was using es fileexplorer before when i found out about this but it didnt let me go on the internal memory, thats why i downloaded the "root explorer" i think es is showing you the data folder on the sd? both the internal mem and sdcard both hold android,data,lazy list etc files.:)

edit: i though it said on the es' review on market that it does explorer root, but i just couldnt get it to even by pressing the "prev folder" button i dont know why it wouldnt work though, just tried root explorer and yay.lol

Upvote 0
mmmm dude i dunno if it does, i was using es fileexplorer before when i found out about this but it didnt let me go on the internal memory, thats why i downloaded the "root explorer" i think es is showing you the data folder on the sd? both the internal mem and sdcard both hold android,data,lazy list etc files.:)

edit: i though it said on the es' review on market that it does explorer root, but i just couldnt get it to even by pressing the "prev folder" button i dont know why it wouldnt work though, just tried root explorer and yay.lol

Trust me mate it does. There's a star buttom that bring up favourites,in that menu you click the phone and it brings up the root files. I've cleaned my data/log,cache and dalvick files

Reactions: scoop7
Upvote 0
Thank you for this stickied guide, but I would like some more direct information on what I should or should not delete from the stock 2.3.3 ROM. What can be removed safely without Android trying to call upon it and screwing up because it's not there?

Allshare 1.1.0
Calculator 2.3.3
DualClock 1.0 (widget)
Forest 1.0 (live wallpaper)
Gallery 1.1.30682 (I think I've heard this is an essential part of Android even though it sucks and I use QuickPic)
My files 1.00
Samsung Apps 2.5.044
Shazam 2.5.3-BB70302
Social Hub 1.00.10101
Swype 2.72.77.26943 (hate it)
Yahoo Finance 11.03.30.01

Also I would like to know the best method of deletion. Should I use Titanuim Backup to delete apps? All of these are coloured red in Titanium. If given an "Uninstall" or "Delete" option in Titanium which should I choose? Or alternatively should I delete things through a file manager like ES File Explorer? If so, which files and folders should be deleted?

Upvote 0
Thank you for this stickied guide, but I would like some more direct information on what I should or should not delete from the stock 2.3.3 ROM. What can be removed safely without Android trying to call upon it and screwing up because it's not there?

Allshare 1.1.0
Calculator 2.3.3
DualClock 1.0 (widget)
Forest 1.0 (live wallpaper)
Gallery 1.1.30682 (I think I've heard this is an essential part of Android even though it sucks and I use QuickPic)
My files 1.00
Samsung Apps 2.5.044
Shazam 2.5.3-BB70302
Social Hub 1.00.10101
Swype 2.72.77.26943 (hate it)
Yahoo Finance 11.03.30.01

Also I would like to know the best method of deletion. Should I use Titanuim Backup to delete apps? All of these are coloured red in Titanium. If given an "Uninstall" or "Delete" option in Titanium which should I choose? Or alternatively should I delete things through a file manager like ES File Explorer? If so, which files and folders should be deleted?

i removed a few of these myself most ive never had on my ace thou, and im not sure about the gallery, in theory i would say everything would be ok to uninstall with titanium by using the uninstall option except gallery:eek:

Upvote 0
theres a guide stickied to the top of forum by me that is all about exactly that :D

heres the link ; http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-ace/431900-go-cm7-back-offical-gingerbread-guide.html

Guys need assistance here. . . i flashed cm7 on my ace but theres a lot of problem i experience. I need to flash back my ace to stock rom, Gingerbread. . i used odin to flashed stock rom but it's not working. Anyone can help me. . i think i need to flash back to stock rom to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
theres a guide stickied to the top of forum by me that is all about exactly that :D

heres the link ; http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-ace/431900-go-cm7-back-offical-gingerbread-guide.html

yes i have tried it but seems my phone have problem flashing rom through odin. . . as per your instruction i have to wait for a couple of 5 mins., but in my case it even reached up to more than 2 hrs. and nothing yet happen until i just pulled out the cable and there appeared the message on the screen "failed". Just want to ask if i can flash a stock rom using recovery mode. Cyanogenmod7 rom is an awesome rom yet my phone experiencing auto reboot and force close on many applications, though i already used the update version of cm7. I think i have to wait for the stable one. .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones