• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choice Dialer app

Hey everyone, I know this should be in the applications forum but I wanted you all to see this since it fulfills some needs we all want on our Droid's. Choice Dialer is a voice recognition app which will open ANY app you have, setup calendar appointments, call or dial any number/contact, start/stop music, enable/disable wifi, gps, bluetooth, and many many other things. I bought it a day or 2 ago and have been extremely impressed with how well it works. Give it a try if you want, and if you don't need it you can always return it within 24 hours.

Reactions: Bob Denny
This app needs a BUMP! I've tried several voice command/dial apps, starting with the popular VoiceDial HF, and Choice Dialer blows the socks off the others. It is so great to just shake the phone and it starts (my HTC Incredible has no camera button).

"Remind me to call Joe Blow tomorrow" and immediately up pops a filled out calendar form! Launch any app on your phone (it periodically scans your apps). Play any music track. SO much more.

This app needs to get noticed so the author can be encouraged. He deserves a handsome reward for the care and professionalism of his work.

Upvote 0
Hi -- I am the developer of Choice Dialer. I was logging in to try to find some formerly frustrated Samsung Moment users to tell them I think I finally overcame their phone's issues in v1.5.0 and I find this thread. It makes my night.

I'm very glad to see enthusiasm (unbidden!) erupting. It has been a difficult time getting to this point, and v1.5.0 (released just today) has the uneven charm of being intended primarily to create a different version of the app for Android 2.x users (it has been hard to have code in one app to support both ... Choice Proxy is a hallmark of this tension).

I hope in my next release to eradicate the need for Choice Proxy. The downside is that the 1.5.0 release asks Android 2.x users to "sidegrade" to the new "Choice Dialer Plus". It adds little value at this point, and ... worse ... is a paid app. It's an embarrassing limitation in Android Market that I cannot work around, but my promise is that no one will, in the end, have to pay me twice to work around an Android snafu.

Here are the issues I faced in making this decision. Google offers me no means by which I can do any of the following:

1. credit owners of com.resounding.choicedialer.pro as rightful owners of the new com.resounding.choicedialer.pro2
2. move a free app to paid status
3. refund amounts less than the entire purchase price for an item

The upshot of all this is that the sidegrade to "Choice Dialer Plus" requires me to ask my existing Android 2.x customers to pay again for what is, initially, pretty much the same app. The remedy I offer is that I will refund them the price of the second purchase against their first transaction. It should come out cash neutral from your end, and I will eat some fixed cost. My hope is that this will be worth it in the end, but I am still embarrassed by the possible impression some may take.

I would not blame you if you were confused by that. It frustrated me a LOT. You can email me as tone through the domain resounding.com if you have questions. The new "Choice Dialer Plus" (a temporary name for the new Android 2.x edition) will automatically assist you in prompting me to refund anyone who paid for both the original app and the new Android 2.x one.

Tony Lovell

PS: com.resounding.choicedialer.pro (the original paid app) will eventually have its maximum supported Android version limited to 1.6 Every user of that app deserves free access to the new version, but they will indeed have to pay to sidegrade to it or Android Market will not issue them free updates upon it. I hope everyone will trust that my heart is in the right place here, and that I will follow through on the refunds when it is clear that someone has paid twice and is not going to cancel out. I look forward to the cleaner codebase this will offer me so I can add more features more easily in future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones