1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Choice of wifi or 3g for browser type apps

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tomreid, Oct 17, 2011.

1. tomreid

tomreid Lurker
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    Hi

i'm experimenting with an Android phone just now. It is connected to wifi but not 3g. Some apps seem to connect to the internet fine (like Skype). Some apps, like browser type apps don't. When using my Nokia 5800 I'm used to a setting when you launch the browser it asks if you want to connect by wifi or 3g. This was a setting I configured in the Nokia browser. I can't find a similar setting in Android, to make sure the browser "asks" to connect to wifi or 3g.

Anyone know how to do this?

cheers

Advertisement

2. Clevo89

Clevo89 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    I don't think things work that way.... when I am at home my android automatically connects to my wifi, it being the fastest. When I am away from home my phone connects to the 3G data network...much slower but better than nothing.

all the apps/browsers use whatever you are connected to.

Occasionally when my phone detects a free/unprotected wifi connection it will notify me and I connect accordingly. Android will remember this connection and automatically connect to it when it is within range.

The android will conect to one or the other...which ever is best and available

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    From experience, my Android uses WiFi exclusively whenever I'm connected to a hotspot.

4. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Project Manager
    Southern California
    Same here. Though I will say since 4G came to my area, internet seems faster on 3G (even though I'm on a 3G X2). I suppose it may be a placebo effect, but it certainly seems to download webpages faster (as well as downloads from the market and such). Wifi is significantly faster, but I am on 35/35 Fios, so YMMV.