1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

chompSMS vs. GO SMS Pro

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ben1390, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ben1390

ben1390 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi All,

I was wondering which one of those people think is the best and why?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    This thread may help you.

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/19330-best-sms-messaging-app.html

Personally, I prefer Handcent. As you will see from the above thread, there is no definitive winner. It's all down to personal preference.

The simple answer is... they are all free... try them for yourself.

Hope this helps. :D

3. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Android Enthusiast
    None

Never was a fan of Chomp. Used Handcent exclusively for almost a year. Then I tried GO Sms and I like it better than Handcent. There are a couple of paid features with Handcent. Go has everyhing I want, easy/nice UI, features like locking a message, privacy box, favorites, etc. Also you can easily back up settings and messages for FREE

4. magnoliasouth

magnoliasouth Lurker
    None

I know this is an ancient thread, but that's precisely why I wanted to respond. All these years later the apps have changed.

I used Go and stuck with it for well over a year for some incredibly stupid reason. The feature I was most interested in was individual contact notification customization. Go did that, but very badly. To begin with, for no apparent reason whatsoever it would delete my customized settings.

I thought to myself, "Self, try the backup/restore option." WRONG! Once I got the settings all correct I would back it up and when it would delete the settings, I would restore it. Well I don't know what their definition of restore is, but it clearly isn't mine. It didn't restore the deleted settings.

I realized it was backing it up once per week. Maybe when it deleted the settings it backed up just after. So I shut off the auto back up, reset all my settings and backed it up right then and there. Next time it deleted my settings and I restored them, it still didn't restore the settings. Fine.

I emailed them and got a form letter that didn't even address my problem. I replied the way it said to and never heard from them. I did this about five times without any response whatsoever.

Finally, I woke up and just deleted the stupid thing. It was more trouble than what it was worth.

Today I began looking for a superior replacement. I finally decided to go with Chomp and I have to admit that I liked it better right away. The settings were easy, there is also a backup and restore and there is another benefit that you don't get with Go. You can still schedule messages to send later, like for a birthday or if you're up in the middle of the night and you're afraid you'll forget to ask Jane to do something for you, you can schedule the text.

Since you specifically were asking about the difference, I thought I'd chime in. So far so good, but the deleted settings happens within a few days. We'll see how it goes. If I don't post back, then you'll know I didn't have the same problem.

Cheers to future readers and hope this helped.

funkylogik likes this.
  5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    I have Chomp. Paid version - not too bad. Go might be good, but Google made a mess with it by not putting the actual app at the top of the list at one time. Found the app itself halfway down a list of skins. Go has SKINS - dozens of them. Almost like a TLDR. looking for the main app.

Handcent is nice, I use it off and on. I prefer it, but after a couple of month's use, it starts to mess up. You have to delete all messages and start over. I might just try it again.

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I installed Handcent briefly last week, and it had changed a lot since I last used it. I can't remember why I uninstalled it again - probably it was doing too much for what I wanted.

I used Chomp for a long time, and yeah, find it works fine for me (also paid version). I'm currently using Textra, which is a lighter/simpler app from the same developer.

I dropped Go a long time ago. Every update was adding more bloat and stuff which just got in the way, and then they started getting spammy about their themes, and I just gave up on them.

7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    I checked out Handcent yesterday and it had changed. I read the TOS and deleted it.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I prefer EvolveSMS than either, and I've tried Handcent, Go and Chomp before.