1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Choose between different tasks to run in Tasker

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Metatronaut, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Metatronaut

Metatronaut Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2014
    Hi!

I want to make a profile where whenever I plug in my phone to a power source, the phone will ask me if I want to either go to fast charge mode, or dock mode. And after choosing what mode, the profile will activate the respective task.

How can I approach this?

Thanks!
    -Sam

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Create a profile based on state...power..ac

The enter task for the profile is a single action: alert..menu. Menu action allows you to build a menu with choices displayed to user and a single action for each choice.

I don't know what actions you have in mind, but if there are a sequence of several actions for each choice, then you can build a task for each choice. Then the menu action for that choice will be perform task taskname (with your task name substituted)

It's pretty simple. I'm not sure if I have misunderstood the question.

codesplice likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Since you are always going to ask a question every time it is executed ... why don't you simply make it two tasks and no profile. Execute the on you want to start the process the way you want?

The video at ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8oItNtWdQ ... will show you how to do the selection with a scene.

... Thom

#3 Thom, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    The difference as I see it is whether:
    A - [your suggestion, no profile] - you have to go find the appropriate task to launch yourself (or find the shortcut somewhere) whenever you plug in the phone
    or
    B - [my suggestion, with profile] - you have the options delivered to you automatically on a menu at exactly time you need them (at the time you plug in the phone).
    I personally would rather have options delivered to me on a menu at exactly the time I need them (option B). That's also my interpretation of op's request.
    But there are always multiple ways to skin a cat and certainly worthwhile for op to consider all suggestions. If the profile doesn't work exactly as expected for some reason (for example intolerable delay), then option A might end up being better/quicker.

#4 electricpete, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014