1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Choosing a custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sharksfan7, Sep 27, 2011.

1. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I've been using GO Launcher EX over the stock Sense ROM on my Inspire for several weeks. I'm really happy with the customization I've been able to do to my homescreens; customizing, scrolling and hiding the dock bar, hiding the status bar, adding/deleting homescreens. If I root, do most custom ROMs have the ability to make these interface customizations built in or would I most likely need to continue using GO Launcher? If I have to continue using Go Launcher to have the interface the way I want it, what other components of a ROM should I consider when choosing which ROM to use? What are the main aspects of a ROM that differentiate one from another?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. csoto2010

csoto2010 Member
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    Information Systems
    In my opinion you will still be using the launcher. The Roms you install will have HTC Sense 2.1, 3.0 or the new 3.5 (which I did not care for) and will be setup the same way as stock even with minimal customization. The other roms will not have htc sense such as Cyanogen Mod 7, ninja, non-sense, etc. Cyanogen is the best by far and allows the most customization without having to install a launcher. His work is like no other rom out there and the battery life is excellent. He gives 2 options in settings, both the Cyanogen settings and adw launcher. You should install his rom and go through these 2 settings for all the customization it offers. As far as what roms have that sets it apart from other roms, in layman's terms, it either has HTC Sense or it doesn't.

sharksfan7 likes this.
  3. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I'm using cyanogen and using go launcher on it just like I did sense, I just like it better than adw.

sharksfan7 likes this.
  4. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Which ROM would you recommend me if I like HTC sense 3.0? Any suggestion please.

5. drizzy3000

drizzy3000 Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    CT
    leedriod with htc sense 3.0. I hear his roms are very stable and great on battery life and smooth.

6. andrews317

None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Thanks. First time I hear about it. I

7. csoto2010

csoto2010 Member
    None

Dec 3, 2010
    Information Systems
    I'm currently using CoreDroid HD v 8.1, runs great, very smooth. This is Sense 3 and is my favorite rom so far.

8. ymmp

ymmp Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2011
    Coming from WM I would think that Sense is a lot more then a Homescreen, but also adds a lot of apps and UI elements. A ROM without Sense, while it may have other advantages (better battery life, RAM, etc.) would lose those apps and UI improvements. At least that was my experience in WM. Can anyone comment on this?
    Thanks!

9. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    Sense is pretty much an completely new framework built ontop of the existing android one. So yes you are correct its more than a homescreen.

If you flash an AOSP based rom you are correct you won't get anything sense related with it since sense is proprietary.

10. gnosisjunky

gnosisjunky Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Personally I ditched sense and went with a much lighter rom. I can't say enough how happy I am with absolution 3.0 which is based on cyanogenmod. for example a sense based rom is 300+ mb where as cm7 and it's various cousins are 90ish mb in size. The other reason that I ditched sense is that it is not compatible with a lot of things I like to do such as wiimote connection etc. The battery life is much better with cm7 and I get much fewer fcs and random boot loops. Sense is a great interface but I ran into more problems with it then solutions. I am sure that rom development has fixed lots of these problems but from a performance and compatibility standpoint cm7 is just far superior.

11. sharksfan7

None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I switched to Android Revolution HD after running Absolution for a couple of weeks. I actually like the Sense interface and couldn't find the mods for Absolution to get things just how I wanted. Mostly little cosmetic things but things that over time were starting to bug me. I'm getting just as good battery life with ARHD as I did with Absolution and my network speed is much faster. Haven't run into anything that I want to do but can't b/c I'm on Sense. ARHD is a solid Sense-based ROM if that's what you're looking for.

12. chall80

chall80 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    Mechanical/Electrical Designer
    Cypress, TX
    I loved Android Revolution. I didn't know that the battery life was bad until I flashed Virtuous Unity. Still Sense 3.0, with better tweaks, and way better battery life. Just my opinion.

13. sharksfan7

None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting. I'll have to give that a spin.

14. andrews317

None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    I'm using Android Revolution and its great. I tried Coredroid but didn't liked all that modified theme and icons so went back to Android Revolution. Virtuous Unity seems interesting. Have you used it?