• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing the right memory card

Ok. Thanks.
Today at least I've learned something I can use.
Now I also want to check what class is the card in my DSLR (it's still the one Canon put in the box) which is probably more important than the one I put in the Hero with wich I have taken exactly 3 pics in two weeks one of which I immediatly erased.

Please allow me to ask you one more thing :
While I rarely use the Hero to take pics, I take quite a few of them with my other cell phone which is a Nokia N97, with a very good camera (for a phone) and a capacious 32GB of storage to which I added an 8GB (don't know what class) card.
Since (as you kindly explained to me) the writing speed is specially important when taking pics, should I set the phone to store the pics by default to the phone's mass storage or , to obtain the best possible results a class 6 card is better in any case?

Thank you again for the precious info .

Well, what follows is if you only take one pic and wait a while ...any class will work for you .... But if you want the camera to recover and be ready for the next pic you want the storage to be as fast as possible .... this along is not the only factor ..

The pic that is taken stills needs post processing to varying degrees prior to being saved in any selected size or pixel quality ...

So I think you can see that if you want the best possible world when doing photos, one of the important factors is write speed to store the pic and the sooner that is done then the camera can be made ready for the next pic.. of frame of video ...

The other benefit of the faster memory is if the memory is used to store apps and run from as is the case in apps2SD for rooted phones .. then speed is an important factor... but to a less degree because the read speed is not spec'd in the industry ...

hope this helps you in your choice ...

Upvote 0
But then is always better to use the the mass storage of the phone, no memory wil ever write data as fast , I'm I right?

As for the post data writing processing: is'nt that necessary only at the momet of viewing the pic?

Pic are not save to the phone's Memory other than momentarly .. Pics are process based on the options selected for the camera at the time of taking a pic, otherwise there would be no white balance, focus, zoom, pixel density or other options after storage ...

Upvote 0
Pic are not save to the phone's Memory other than momentarly .. Pics are process based on the options selected for the camera at the time of taking a pic, otherwise there would be no white balance, focus, zoom, pixel density or other options after storage ...

Thank you for the time you spent to answer my noob's questions justjimjpc.
Your informations have been very much appreciated :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones