• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Choosing wireless connection preference

stocker

Jun 3, 2010
Canada
Hi folks,
Did a bunch of searches, but didn't find anything related. Is there a way to get the phone to prefer wifi connections over using 3g if the wifi connection is available. I do 90% of my surfing on the phone at home, but don't want to have to shut off the 3g everytime I step in the house.

Thanks

I really hate how you have to search AndroidZoom by name and not tags... I couldn't find that WIFI widget that would automatically switch you due to either GPS location ( Make your house a point) or by available signal... crap..

Also, Make sure you have enabled "Never" in Wifi Sleep Policy.

Settings
Wireless/Networks
WIFI Settings
Hit Menu then Advanced

This way when your phones ildes or sleeps it will force wifi connection. If not every time you turn the phone back on or wake it up it will have been on 3G the whole time.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any 3G charges now in about 4 days :D I know there are Apps to shut off everything, but the big thing for me was setting the Sleep Mode option to never. I use Wefi Connect as an App, but I don't think it has any bearing on turning off the 3G.

If I ever leave the house, I might look at one of the Apps that shuts off all data connections and just syncs every 20 minutes or so. When I get to there, I would want an App to ask me if I really want to connect to 3G if it can't find a Wifi connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones