1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

chris is confused once again

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by confused_chris, May 1, 2011.

1. confused_chris

None

Feb 22, 2011
    manufacturing
    Ohio
    hey people...how are you? I'm new to this forum stuff but i really need some help. I just bought my first android tabley (flytouch 3 superpad 2) and I'm having a hard time formatting an sd card for it so I might download apps directly to the card and not my tablet itself. It has a 4g internal hard drive but 3 of the g's are used up by the opperating system. This is a gift for my 7yo daughter and I really want to be able to store programs to the sd card instead of the internal memmory so I don't bog down her system. I've formatted one 8g card into 3 partitions, a FAT32, an EXT3, and a lynux swap but I can't seem to get it to work properly. Can anyone help me with this please?

Advertisement

2. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast
    None

What is it not doing? Recognizing the card? Installing the apps?

Some apps cant be installed on the SD card, but 1G is allot of space for apps, im using about 100Mb on my phone and i have over 120 apps installed.

3. confused_chris

None

Feb 22, 2011
    manufacturing
    Ohio
    its not allowing me to move apps to the sd card....i have 6.5g's of FAT32 like 750mb of ext3 and the rest lynux swap....i was told this is what i had to do...partition it like this. it wont let me move apps or even install onto the sd card

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    I don't know the first thing about linux, or Flytouch tablets, but from my experience there's a couple of points I'd like to make. First, I don't believe you need to do anything fancy to "prep" the SD card. I'm pretty sure that just formatting it once (in FAT32 if memory serves me) should be adequate for personal use. As long as the amount of storage isn't exceeding the limits of your device (must are either 32GB, some are 64), you shouldn't need to partition it. Second, apps don't live and run EXCLUSIVELY on the SD card. The OS allows developers to enable this option for their apps, but in doing so only PART of the app is actually offloaded to the card; sometimes it's a lot and sometimes isn't.

5. confused_chris

None

Feb 22, 2011
    manufacturing
    Ohio
    Yeah, thanks I also have the droid x and I never had to do anything to format the sd card nor partition it. I'll try running a simple FAT32 card.

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Realize though, that when you format an SD card, you'll lose everything on it

7. confused_chris

None

Feb 22, 2011
    manufacturing
    Ohio
    Yes, I realize that. I have a sd card I'm experimenting with

8. confused_chris

None

Feb 22, 2011
    manufacturing
    Ohio
    can you tell me where Iwould find the version of firmware I have on my flytouch3 superpad2?