1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Christmas Gift

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by goosenoob, Dec 23, 2012.

1. goosenoob

goosenoob Newbie

O.k. So I got this phone (it is already wrapped and under the tree) for christmas and I have been doing a lot of research on it. My concern is that to make it a decent phone I will have to root it and remove a lot of the bloatware.

I have only rooted one other phone (prevail) and was successful the first time I rooted it and have had no problems with it. That being said I was also confident because Prevail had many recovery options out there while the sequent is still fairly new.

Here is my main problem. The phone was purchased from Wal-Mart (bleh) over 2 weeks ago. Apparently wal-mart has a no return policy on electronics over 2 weeks old (at least that is what the guy in electronics said when asked). If I end up deciding to return this phone I obviously wouldn't unbox it or anything so it would be completely sealed. I hope wal-mart would accept it or I could possibly contact boost for help or even try and sell it via craigslist or something.

So to make a long story short should I...
    1. Return this phone and not attempt to root it and...
    2. What should I get to upgrade from my prevail. The way I see it their are only two options of either the HTC evo design or the LG venice (I'm not paying 300 + for the Galaxy S2 and I want a phone with ICS that doesn't blow)
    3. Should I root this phone and clean it up. Any advice or opinion is appreciated. :) Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rlphbgby

rlphbgby Well-Known Member

walmart excepts all returns the day after Christmas just say you got it as a gift. but you will get the money back in form of a walmart gift card (don't need a receipt)

I came from the prevail too this phone is hands down way better then prevail was. I like my phone some people dont like it. diff wouldn't go with Venice. if you wanna pay more for evo go ahead cant go wrong with that phone. Put it like this anything is a step up from prevail

3. goosenoob

goosenoob Newbie

Thanks for the advice. Guess I just got a little nervous with all the poor reviews out there on this phone, but then again a lot of people said the prevail sucked out of box, and once I rooted it I loved it. Def time for an upgrade though:)

4. gamikzone

gamikzone Android Enthusiast

I returned my warp sequent and got an e evo design for the same price xD, but the warp sequent is a good phone when potential.

5. animusfl

animusfl Member

I still have the sequent, cleaned it up to sell it, used the zte update tool and that fixed alot of the issues i had with the phone. So I would recommend trying that if it's laggy, music skips etc. The update is much smoother running. I wish i had done it much earlier.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

6. junkie2100

junkie2100 Android Expert

You all make me laugh. Has anyone here actually looked up the specs of the three phones? They share the same general specifications except one, the zte processor runs at 1.4ghz, the htc runs at 1.2, and the venice runs at a whopping 1.0... software may be flawed on this thing but we can fix that, the only advantage any of those phones really has is the htc gets wimax, that is if youre lucky enough to live in an area that has sprint wimax coverage which i am not. Plus good luck with htc sense, i hate that stupid thing. This phone trumps them all hardware wise but if you really want to downgrade to something else be my guest

cvic likes this.
  7. junkie2100

my unprofessional advice is, check the sprint site for wimax coverage, if you dont have wimax coverage you want the sequent. software can be changed and upgraded, but id love to see you upgrade the phones hardware

8. goosenoob

goosenoob Newbie

Thanks, guess I'm going to give the ole root and clean a try.

9. gamikzone

gamikzone Android Enthusiast

yes the warp seq does have better more update to date specs, but I feel like the build quality of the evo is better, the ZTE has a cheap plastic like feel while the evo feels much more durable. but it all comes down to personal preference, I have owned both phones and I'm currently using the design.

10. junkie2100

true, i have the original evo 4g from sprint though and that thing is the cheapest feeling things ive ever had, dropped it and the screen shattered. when phones get to 4.3 inches they are gonna be alot more fragile. i could probably toss my prevail at a wall and itd be ok, but the original evo is just structurally unsound. its too big and thin and the back case on it is half the thickness of the zte and doesnt stay on nearly as well. like you said tho to each their own. i wanted the evo myself till i found out i couldnt get 4g in my area

11. junkie2100

i respect anyones right to choose what works best for them, i just ask that they make a decision based on facts not hearsay. the stability of a smaller phone is a good selling point yes but i cant stand having a small screen without a qwerty keyboard, i used that prevail for like 2 days before i gave up on it and used it as a donor phone for my evo, i couldnt even type on it with such a little screen to work with, im the kind of guy who preferred the original xbox controller tho kuz i have huge hands so maybe thats just me

ZTE Warp Sequent Forum

The ZTE Warp Sequent release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1650mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews