• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome acting buggy

S10 on Android 11. All apps are up to date, not rooted. Chrome has been acting buggy for as long as I can remember. I've got homepage turned off in settings so my new tab page is just the generic page that has the search bar in the middle. What happens is I will tap in the search bar and my keyboard (Gboard) will open up but then disappear. So then I have to tap in the search bar again to get the keyboard to come up and everything works fine after that. Also, I have to go into flags and enable a few of the items to get the tabbed layout. I did a factory reset and when I set the phone back up I did not load the backup for anything except for SMS. I then got Chrome updated and installed Gboard. I did not have the keyboard disappearing issue anymore and the tabbed layout was active without me having to go into flags. So I've spent the past 2 days downloading all my other apps and setting them all back up manually. I'm about 75% done with this and just noticed that the issue is back with Chrome. I tried resetting it back to the default version and updating it again, but that did not work. Is there a way for me to create a log file that would show what is interfering with Chrome or do I need to remove apps one by one?

Ewwww, Chrome.
I was sick of it before I even had more than a few months of experience with Android.

There are just so many better browsers available- and Chrome is so bad that it isn't hard at all to find something better.

I can narrow down the search for you, and just give you what I consider to be the best of them all.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/acr.browser.lightning/

This one is so good, fast, and secure that there are multiple other browsers using it as their base- which is totally legal and ok because it is FOSS (Free Open Source Software).

There are legitimate clones out there that have various additions to them (dark mode, downloaders, etc.) to answer the needs of just about anyone.

One thing I will say is that you might want to open Developers Options and change the Webview settings to Android System Webview if it isn't set to that already.
(On some devices, Chrome acts as the webview.)

Another thing to consider as well is a different keyboard.
G-Board is always sending everything you type to God knows where, so a keyboard that does not do so is a better option.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod/

Even if you don't like my suggestions, at least give them a try and tell me what you think.

And feel free to ask if you have any questions.

FWIW, I am actually using a clone of the above browser (Midori) and that exact same keyboard to type this reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones