1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chrome alternative browser?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Dannydet, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I'm getting sick of Google and thinking of switching to a different browser on my computer and phone.
    Any suggestions?

lillycarrie82 and GameTheory like this.
  2. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Chromium would be the obvious choice for pc..
    Chrome without the google bits..

I think there's a beta version of Edge out there too which uses the chromium rendering engine to power it.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Dannydet, ocnbrze and psionandy like this.
  4. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Personally I use Brave, which is based on Chrome so not sure if it hand shakes to Google at all. But I do prefer it to Chrome, although I do still use chrome for picky websites..

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  5. Daniel Fernandes

Daniel Fernandes Android Enthusiast

I've been using Opera ever since I found it. It has pretty useful features like built-in screenshot editor, sidebar that allows you to easily access messenger apps like WhatsApp and Telegram. There's a built-in ad blocker as well. Also supports Chromecast. Never felt like I needed an extra feature.

PitCarver and Dannydet like this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

What features do you need? For example, I don't sync bookmarks between computer and phone (I use them differently), so personally I don't care about using "the same" browser on both or not, but others might feel quite differently. Are there extensions you need (some browsers are much better than others for this)?

Brave is based on Chromium, not Chrome, so shouldn't be reporting to Google.

I don't use Chrome on any platform (never have, it was always too Google for me). On my laptop I use both Firefox and Safari (each has things they do better than the other), on my desktop (Linux) just Firefox, on my phone I've a collection of browsers: I'm currently trying Brave as my primary, but in a typical week I'll probably also use Firefox (with several privacy extensions), Edge, NB Pro and DuckDuckGo at some time or other (and that's not the full collection).

Dannydet likes this.
  7. Dannydet

I'm looking for a browser that syncs both mobile and computer, such as Chrome.
    Chromium looks good but not sure if there's a android version

GameTheory likes this.
  8. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Brave does this @Dannydet and is built on Chromium. Added ad blocking and script blocking is useful. There is also the new Rewards system that allows you to view selected ads and be paid for it via some kind of points system. Not tried it out myself. :thinking:

https://brave.com/brave-rewards/

Attached Files:

GameTheory and Dannydet like this.
  9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

The Firefox app on your mobile device(s) will sync with the Firefox browser on a desktop/laptop. (The Firefox Focus app won't, it's basically just a clean web browser without all the expanded feature set, bling, and drama trends with most mainstream browsers.)
    Note that Mozilla is planning to focus on Fenix in the near future:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/26/the-future-of-firefox-for-android/

Dannydet likes this.
  10. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Honestly I'd never go near them again. I've had less problems getting viruses off my PC than Chromium :rolleyes:

Dannydet likes this.
  11. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I can't imagine using a computer OS that, one, gets viruses and, two, makes removing unwanted programs difficult. *SMH*

GameTheory and Dannydet like this.
  12. R8a8idF

R8a8idF Newbie

Mozilla is easy to use and does a good job of providing privacy options.
    Tor can help those who may wish to go overkill on privacy.

Dannydet likes this.
  13. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

I'm happy with Chrome on my phone, but on my computers I've used--and LOVE--SeaMonkey forever. Well, since its earliest days, when it was Netscape Communicator.

It's a Mozilla product--the grand-daddy of Firefox and Thunderbird. It's a complete Internet suite, so it includes a browser and an e-mail/newsgroup client. Its e-mail client is always backward-compatible, and as a result I have mail dating back to the '90s.

The browser is beautifully customizable; for example, I've made each tab have its own color. I'm still using add-ons that long ago stopped being available/compatible, by editing their files to recognize higher browser versions.

I don't know that it suits all your needs, but I love it so much, I had to recommend it! Note that I've only used its Linux versions.

Dannydet likes this.
  14. Pavel Pavlov

Pavel Pavlov Lurker

My personal preference, but I would advise you UC Browser is suitable for both Android devices and computers on Windows

#14 Pavel Pavlov, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  15. Dannydet

UC Browser?
    Hahaha!
    Pavel you crack me up!

16. R8a8idF

R8a8idF Newbie

Whats UC browser all about.

17. Pavel Pavlov

Pavel Pavlov Lurker

UC Browser is in the "Google Play", it has already been installed by more than 19,852,594 users

[​IMG] UC Browser is a web browser developed by the Chinese mobile Internet company UCWeb, which is in turn owned by the Alibaba Group. As of December 2018 it is the fourth most popular mobile browser in the world by market share, after Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. Originally launched in April 2004 as a J2ME-only application, it is available on a number of platforms including Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Java ME, Symbian, Windows Phone and Microsoft Windows

He looks like this:
    [​IMG]

#17 Pavel Pavlov, Jun 3, 2019
  18. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

svim, tube517, mikedt and 3 others like this.
  19. Pavel Pavlov

Pavel Pavlov Lurker

The official website of the program - ucweb.com
    For mobile devices, it is very convenient and practical. The page loading speed is faster than Google Chrome.
    I used the UC Browser when there were still no phones on the android, since then I have such an attachment to it. This is one of the best mobile browsers, which is also available for desktops.

#19 Pavel Pavlov, Jun 3, 2019
  20. Dannydet

UC Browser = Chinese data mining.
    So much for keeping your private data safe

tube517, mikedt and MoodyBlues like this.
  21. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

And loves sharing its users' data, covertly!

Did you read @Hadron's link? You should.
    Even though I only use Linux (so I'm not vulnerable to all the crap that plagues window$), I wouldn't let this browser anywhere NEAR any of my laptops or desktops...

Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  22. mikedt

mikedt 你好

UC Browser... No thank you!!!

As I don't really want the CPC in Beijing knowing the websites I might be looking at.

Screenshot_20190604_130338_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

MoodyBlues, tube517 and Dannydet like this.
  23. mikedt

mikedt 你好

UC Browser... No thank you!!!

As I don't really want the CPC in Beijing knowing the websites I might be looking at.

View attachment 142242