1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

chrome and edge draining battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JanAdam, May 23, 2020.

1. JanAdam

JanAdam Lurker

I have Galaxy Note 2 Kitkat 4.4.2 for many years. It is still working ok, and I do not see any reason for spending a bundle on a new phone.
    However, native Internet, Chrome, and Edge are draining my battery when not being used. The only way to prevent any of the browsers from killing my battery is to clean the cache, and force stop or uninstall it. Otherwise it would drain it overnight.
    My question is if there is a way to prevent browsers from working in the background? Or, is there a simple browser that does not do that? I do not care for any bells and whistles. I need a phone with a browser to let me see news, weather and that's about it. No games, videos and preferably no access to just about everything on my phone. I get my mail on dedicated client, synced with my Google and my IP mail servers.
    Or, do I ask for too much?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

you are asking too much of your note 2. my note 3 is only good for as a mp3 player when i walk my dog. browsers and apps these days just need too much resources to make them run....something i think the note 2 just does not have to give. there are many cheap and affordable new phones out there that can function like you want it. at this point anything is better then your note 2.

however, if you must you can try firefox, opera, opera mini and maybe dolphin browsers and see how they run on your ancient phone.....LOL

3. JanAdam

JanAdam Lurker

Thank you for your post :) .
    Let me rephrase my question: is there a way to force a browser, say Chrome or Edge, to run ONLY when I open the app? And go to complete hibernation when I close it.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

not sure how it runs on the note 2, but on my note 10+ chrome should not run in the background. but i do have it seto within the phone's setting to sleep when not in use. i guess it is a android 10 feature. I also i leave my phone plugged in all night. have you replaced the battery? how do you know it is chrome that is draining the battery?

maybe look into using tasker

we even have a forum dedicated to tasker:
    https://androidforums.com/apps/tasker.704/

5. JanAdam

JanAdam Lurker

Thanks again.

I can see battery usage in Settings -> More -> Battery. It shows all apps sorted by battery use. There is also a line showing battery percentage as a function of time since last charge. Then, I can go to Application Manager, and force stop the biggest battery hog.

Thus, I know it is Chrome and chrome sandboxed. Or Edge. Both behave the same way. Even with browsing, when I use it, the battery use is acceptable, screen being at the top. What drives me nuts is, that if the phone is left after using say Chrome without force stopping it, it would drain the battery to about 20 % or less overnight. And it shows up in battery use. When I force stop it, and do not use my phone it would keep the battery charge above 80 % for over two days without charging, just phone and OS stand by.

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Sorry to say, but both of yhode browsers are bad for what you are experiencing.

A better phone wouldbonky allow these horrid things to continue foing what they are doing without draining your battery as fast.

First, let me answer your question.

Greenify.
    That is the app you want for forcing other apps to close when you don't want them running.

But in my experience, most Google apps (like Chrome) will continue to turn themselves back on.

If you can forcestop it yourself, and it stays that way until you open it, then Greenify may do it well.

But on some devices, Chrome won't show up on Greenify, because it can be considered a system app.

So that leaves you with one option...
    a new browser.

You will quite easilly see that many popular browsers will do dimilar things, run slow, or are just too big.

There is still hope!

Try Lightning.

It has been my goto browser for years.

There are many security and other features that other browsers don't have or require add-ons to achieve.

Not to mention that it is fast...
    extremely fast.

And it is background free.

So, here is the link, and let me know if you want any tips for setting it up or have any problems with it.

I have nothing to gain for promoting it, I just truely believe that it is a superior product.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/acr.browser.lightning/

This is the Pro version, available from F-Droid.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews