1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chrome Browser Help

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BigRedGonzo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

I recently put the .232 leak on my Bionic. I decided to give the Chrome Browser a try and have a question. How in the crap do you close the thing? Trying to back out of it is a nightmare. If you hit the Home key and switch away from it, it comes back to where you were and that is not always what you really want. There is no "exit" option in the menu and the tabs don't have x's in them to shut it down that way. On my phone, I typically go to the browser to search for something and Chrome requires me to either type www.google.com in every time or keep backing out until I get back to it. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated because it seems to be really fast.

BigRedGonzo

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast

To close a tab just tap the tab button next to the address bar and then tap the "X" to whichever tab you want closed.

The reason Chrome doesn't have a native "exit" option is because Android doesn't necessarily need it. It's the same reason the stock browser, Play Store, Gmail, and other native Android apps don't have it; Android manages the memory itself. If things start running slow or lag, Android starts closing running apps itself. Same reason for the task manager debate.

It isn't a perfect system and you can manually close apps via Settings>Apps.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yeah that takes a little getting used to at first. I was originally used to Dolphin where this could be done, then moved to the stock Android browser where I first got used to the lack of an exit feature. Hated it at first and now totally prefer it. The key is the tab management button just right of the address bar. Use that to add/remove tabs. The only thing I don't like about chrome is the lack of a quick button for a new Google tab for searching purposes. Maybe there is something and I haven't found it yet. It takes me a long time to get to my favorites because it breaks them into groups. Another peeve is that it defaults to large text when replying to threads here on android forums. Have to pinch it down to make it manageable. It is fast though.

4. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Yea, I understand about how Android does memory management and thus the lack of need for an "Exit" button. I guess the real thing I was looking for was some way to return to a "Home" page after closing the browser. Ideally, what I would like to be able to do is, do my browsing, tell the browser I'm finished with what I was doing and then go about my business. When I open the browser the next time, I would like to be presented with my "Home" page. If I am browsing and needed to do something else and return to where I was later, I would exit with the home key and then return with the recent apps list. Anyway, I guess I'll either figure out what I want to do with it or go back to the native browser, which, with ICS, now has an exit button that does exactly what I want for it to do. Go figure...

Thanks,
    BigRedGonzo

5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

You should be able to log out of any app anyway. I'd love to log out of Play. I don't see why I should have to install a 3rd party app just for privacy. I log in and out on the computer, so why not on the phone?