• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chrome cast??

A word of warning: the ChromeCast is NOT the same thing as an Apple TV. features such as mirroring are limited to whatever apps support it and the Chrome browser on your laptop or desktop computer. if you want to cast Riptide GP2 or some other game to your TV, stick with an iPad and Apple TV. there is no Google clone of that---yet. closest is using Screen Mirroring on a Samsung TV and tablet--which will allow you to do some game mirroring similar to the way Apple TV does, but with hideous lag.

The ChromeCast Dongle is really just the Nexus Q in new clothes.

Upvote 0
A word of warning: the ChromeCast is NOT the same thing as an Apple TV. features such as mirroring are limited to whatever apps support it and the Chrome browser on your laptop or desktop computer. if you want to cast Riptide GP2 or some other game to your TV, stick with an iPad and Apple TV. there is no Google clone of that---yet. closest is using Screen Mirroring on a Samsung TV and tablet--which will allow you to do some game mirroring similar to the way Apple TV does, but with hideous lag.

The ChromeCast Dongle is really just the Nexus Q in new clothes.

That's not true anymore. Chromecast now supports full mirroring, but only on certain phones so far. I don't have the list of devices handy, but you can probably guess the usual suspects.

Google Chrome Blog: Mirror Your Android Screen to the TV with Chromecast

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
is there a limit on what exactly supports mirroring? the last i heard it was just a Chrome tab from a desktop or laptop computer. i'm sure Google places some type of limit somewhere, similar to their limit on casting off-line Play Movies content. you'll get a big message 'to cast this video to the selected screen, you must unpin it from your device'. kinda sucks given that the point of pinning is for those who don't live in the unlimited stable internet life. and that's a lot of people without access because Google placed this limit on casting offline content you actually PURCHASED.

the only way to cast Play Movies now is to allocate a ton of my data plan as that's the only way i can get online at home. i used to be able to pin it on my tablet at a public wifi and come home, hit cast and go. some recent update stopped that cold. what's the point of the ability to make a movie offline if you can't even use it?

Bottom line, there has to be a limit on what can be mirrored. and then there's lag. at least on Samsung's implementation while it does work very much like Apple's method, it lags to the point that playing any games on the big screen are unplayable due to input lag.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
How's the lag? The lag on a Chromecast is terrible. It works best when it's playing videos that are already on the Internet on a compatible (almost always paid or ad-ridden) app... local content, such as your device screen, will be flaky. It gets worse when attempting to cast local content, unless you're willing to set up, and potentially pay for, Plex.

Upvote 0
The device list is outdated, I hope! Because it has the HTC M7, but not the M8.

Yeah, no idea why Google made that decision.

It's coming to a broader list of devices.

Meanwhile, if you're rooted, you can cast from an M8 quite nicely, it's a really simple mod - as well as with a number of other devices.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones