1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Chromecast Connection Loss... A lot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 8.5x11, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 8.5x11

8.5x11 Newbie
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Picked up a Chromecast this week. First off, during setup my N3 kept dumping the WiFi and wouldn't finish the setup. A quick search had me on my way with a way to get the WiFi to stay connected during setup. As frustrating as that situation was, what I'm currently experiencing is much worse. My N3 will play 3 or 4 songs and then dump the connection to the Chromecast. It only plays a few videos before it loses connection. I've tried almost all the apps that will utilize Chromecast and it's the same across the board. I've tried flipping the WiFi settings on the N3 to different things and it never changes the problem. Anybody successfully using their N3 with Chromecast? I have't tried the Chromecast with any other devices in my house. I've been too busy to really mess with it and it's currently attached to the TV I watch infrequently. Any help or insight appreciated...

Advertisement

2. Chicoman

Chicoman Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 12, 2013
    Male
    La La Land
    I use my phone with Chromecast almost daily to keep my 3 year old entertained with youtube videos. I have not had any problems with it losing connection, etc. The only occasional problem is that if you have a couple devices using the Chromecast, sometimes you may start it on your N3 but another device will pick it up and take it over and will cause some problems if you're trying to pause it but I don't think that is actually a N3 problem anyway (probably just jumping to device with best connection or something).

I'm guessing maybe your wifi router is having trouble streaming that much data and is cutting itself off. I don't think that's an N3 problem. How old is your router? Are other devices/pc's connected to wifi at the same time that may be hogging signal? I would start with that part first before blaming the device.

3. 8.5x11

8.5x11 Newbie
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Yeah my other thought was the router. The router I'm using the one FiOS gave me about 18 months ago. Of course there are other devices connected to it. Xbox, another smart TV, Wii, my Note, iPhone, iMac, Laptop, 2 kindles, Printer... blah blah blah. The connection loss happens when none of those other devices should be pulling any data or extremely small amounts. I guess I'll work backwards from the router to see if I can solve the problem...

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. jdb

jdb Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    I picked one up after Christmas and I have issues while playing Google Music (All Access). It sounds similar to your problem...plays a few songs, then the connection dumps, and then I get the gmusic start screen again. It reallys sucks, much of the reason I got a chromecast was for gmusic.
    However, I also use it for google movies, songza, youtube, pandora, and netflix and have not had any issues with these apps.
    Seems strange to me that just the gmusic drops out. Maybe a bug with gmusic app and not the note3 or chromecast???

5. 8.5x11

8.5x11 Newbie
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Songza and Youtube dump for me...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.