1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chromecast from Pixel 4 xl to Android box

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tazbud33, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Tazbud33

Tazbud33 Lurker

Hi there,

I have a Pixel 4 xl and a T95x Android box. Both the phone and the box recognize my smart speakers from Chromecast. But they don't recognize each other. Please let me know: How can I cast my Pixel phone to my Android box (or vice versa)? Thanks I'm advance.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by ocnbrze, Mar 18, 2020 (7 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

you can't use chromecast from phone to box like that. it only works from android device to the tv. you can try miracast.

i found this youtube video:

#2 ocnbrze, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  4. Tazbud33

Tazbud33 Lurker

Hi. They won't recognize eachother on Chromecast (phone and box) but both recognize the speakers. Which is odd. Am I missing a setting or something?

5. ocnbrze

so chromecast does not see either the phone or android box? i'm not sure android box would work via casting. your phone should be different. are you on the same network? your phone should be easy to get setup with chromecast.

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Do you have an actual Chromecast device or are you hoping to use Google Cast capability built into the Android box? Because I don't think that second thing is a thing unless it's an actual Android TV device.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Tazbud33

Tazbud33 Lurker

From my phone I can cast audio to my Google speakers. From my Android box I can cast audio to my smart speakers. I would like to cast video from my phone to my box. It should be easy, but it's not. They are on the same network hence both finding the speakers.

8. Tazbud33

Tazbud33 Lurker

Not actual Chromecast. But a capable Android box.

9. ocnbrze

ok chromecast refers to the actual chromecast device. it hooks up to your tv via hdmi cable. the only way to cast from phone to box is to use miracast as shown in the youtube video i posted.

edit:
    to be honest it is really the easiest way to stream anything to the tv:
    https://store.google.com/product/chromecast

you can even mirror anything on the phone to the tv.

Dannydet and codesplice like this.
  10. codesplice

Ah, there's the rub. The ability to function as a Cast receiver is not built into Android - not Google's version of Android that's on your phone nor whatever version of Android is running on the box. You could potentially install a third-party cast receiver app onto the Android box but I don't have any personal experience or recommendations there.

NightAngel79 and ocnbrze like this.
  11. NewArtDroid

NewArtDroid Well-Known Member

Does Google Pixel 4 have Miracast technology? Just asking since I'm a Google Pixel 2 XL user and I was dismayed when I got my phone a years ago and learned it does not have Miracast technology. I am considering upgrading and so I thought I'd ask if the newer Pixels got Mircast back.

12. ocnbrze

i doubt it. since the pixel phones are a google product, they really want you to buy their chromecast device instead.

13. codesplice

Nope, Google doesn't support Miracast for whatever reason. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with their own competing cast standard...

ocnbrze likes this.
  14. NewArtDroid

NewArtDroid Well-Known Member

OK, I'll keep in mind that Google Pixel still doesn't support Miracast when I upgrade. I got a Galaxy S9 for my work phone and like the fact that it does do Miracast (able to project various kids TV onto the TV during this pandemic with the kids home) and I like the headphone jack. I just don't like the Samsung S9 keyboard.

15. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.

Google Pixel 4 & 4 XL Forum

The Google Pixel 4 & 4 XL release date was October 2019. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch or 6.3" inch screen, 16MP camera, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 855 processor, and 2800mAh or 3700mAh battery.

October 2019
Release Date
Reviews