1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chromecast is Android based?

Discussion in 'Chromecast' started by gtbarry, Jul 28, 2013.

1. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

"We had a lot of internal discussion on this, and have concluded that it’s more Android than Chrome OS," says GTV Hacker on its website. "To be specific, it’s actually a modified Google TV release, but with all of the Bionic / Dalvik stripped out and replaced with a single binary for Chromecast."

Google's Chromecast has its roots in Android, not Chrome OS | The Verge

Related to this is that the SDK for Chromscast is actually called Google Cast

http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2013/07/cast-content-from-your-apps-to-tv-with.html

2. Droidunited

Droidunited Member

Interesting. [FONT=&quot]I just heard that Chromecast works with Android, Chrome, and iOS, but not BlackBerry or Windows Phone [/FONT]

3. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Hmm maybe someone will port it over to a phone so we can emulate our phone as chromecast :) my esteem has an HDMI out :D

4. 007shark

007shark Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing of using my Droid Razr Maxx HD as a Chromecast receiver with its HDMI output. This will probably become possible when the Jellybean update with Chromecast rolls out to the GoogleTV devices. Then we can dissect to see what code is added to make update.zip files for other devices.