1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chromecast on a monitor?

Discussion in 'Chromecast' started by Alyianna, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

This may seem like a silly question, please excuse me as I am unfamiliar with this kind of technology!

I have a large monitor, generally used for computers. I was thinking I could get this Chromecast and use it with this monitor and watch Netflix, Hulu+ etc. It does have an HDMI slot.

Would this work? Or does it have to be a TV?

Some other questions...
    I see this connects to your wifi... if you are streaming something from your smartphone to the Chromecast, are you able to have both the phone and the Chromecast connected to wifi, making it so you aren't using your data package to stream?

What are the other options aside from the smartphone? What else would send the "signal" to the Chromecast? I am assuming it won't just pick up Netflix or Hulu+ etc on it's own?

Thank you... as you can tell, I really am clueless... but if it works as I think it may, my daughter will love this for Christmas! Netflix in her bedroom would be awesome for her!

2. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Android Enthusiast

If it has an HDMI port, you should be good to go.

One thing to check is an audio output. You need to make sure that your monitor can send out audio for the media that you play on the chromecast via that HDMI input. If it doesn't, you'll need to get an HDMI audio extractor from someplace like monoproice.

-SF

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Your phone and Chromecast have to be on the same wifi network.

Your phone is the controller - it tells Chromecast what to go get.

Desktop casting actually sends from the Chrome browser, it's different.

KOLIO likes this.