1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Chromecast using mobile hotspot

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ferretkeeper, May 29, 2016.

1. ferretkeeper

ferretkeeper Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    Southampton UK
    I have to split my time between Thailand where I'm married and the UK where I still have family and work. In the UK I have no broadband so I use an Osprey mini 2 mobile unit from EE. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and I want to use it to show pictures, my own videos and possibly downloaded content on the BBC iPlayer on 2 TVs (not at the same time). Neither are equipped for this so I was considering Chromecast. The issue is the need for a WiFi connection. I don't want to stream content from the internet although it's possible I may occasionally want to show web pages or YouTube. Can I use my mobile hotspot to connect and mirror my tablet screen without using my data allowance?

I've seen lots of information about Chromecast but nothing that really matches my situation.

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    That won't work with a Chromecast / Googlecast. It needs a WiFi router.

It will work fine with a miracast device (screen mirroring direct from phone to tv) assuming you have a miracast compatible phone. Oddly enough, my nexus 6 requires root to enable miracast functionality.

I have both devices (Chromecast and MWDA miracast). Chromecast is preferable when WiFi is available. Miracast is only option when WiFi is not available.

svim, Jfalls63 and ferretkeeper like this.
  3. ferretkeeper

ferretkeeper Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    Southampton UK
    Thanks for that.
    I'll have to try Miracast which will probably do what I need or just get an adaptor to use HDMI which I already have The main reason for looking at Chromecast was that it might be better in the long term and my circumstances seem to change quite a bit.

4. ferretkeeper

ferretkeeper Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    Southampton UK
    Looking at reviews for the Osprey I saw this one which mentions connecting a Chromecast. I guess the Osprey basically provides a WiFi signal so it should be OK. The only thing I need to check is if I mirror my tablet and I'm showing local data will that count as chargeable data? I wouldn't think that it would buy I'm not sure.

https://www.ergohacks.com/osprey-2-mifi-review/

It's not for the Osprey mini but the Osprey is pretty much the same apart from a smaller battery and you can't charge your phone from it.

electricpete likes this.
  5. Nick Arthur

Nick Arthur Newbie

Feb 23, 2016
    Male