1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chu Chu Rocket clone - Shoko Rocket

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by danishcake, Aug 18, 2010.

1. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Android Enthusiast

Animated version works great on my desire, but it REALLY needs music and landscape layout so it can be larger and fit the screen better.

2. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Android Enthusiast

just tried the dynamic version on my Galaxy S
    worked great , agrees on the music part

at least sound effects (when the game starts , when a mouse gets to a rocket)

3. dguy

dguy Android Expert

Yeah, one of the nicest things about chu chu rocket was the catchy music.

4. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Android Enthusiast

ok I'm really confused... I'm stuck on original easy level 5 (called 'Easy5')

Can someone help ?! Yes it appears I'm crap at this.

5. ludist210

ludist210 Android Enthusiast

For a future update, could you implement a less clunky way to move an arrow to a new spot or remove an arrow from the field? I'm having a lot of trouble with that. Otherwise, I'm really digging this game.

6. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Android Enthusiast

I find the controls are fine the way they are, the only problem is each square is too small for fat fingers since the playable area is so small at the moment. This could be sorted by allowing the layout to be landscape instead and filling the screen better.

7. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

Providing landscape mode is a bit fiddly, but what I can do is automatically rotate the level so it fits the screen better. I'll probably do the release at the weekend, as I'll then have had two weeks between versions, so I'll get into the just released list again.

Hint for level 5: put the cats on the right side into a loop, delay those on the left

8. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the hint - but still can't figure it out :(

If you have the time - could you be more explicit with what I need to do?

I'm hoping once I pass this level I will understand the principles and be able to do the rest too !!

9. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

New version! Download

[​IMG]

This adds new levels, a 'rotate' option in the menu, the animated background, a mute menu item, lots of rare bug fixes, and a level complete dialog. Still to do: Music, any other suggestions.

If nobody reports a crash here I'll release it on the market in 24 hours.

10. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

I reckon a hint could be added to each level. I reckon the previous hint would be pretty good, but the solution in this case is to place two down arrows directly above the left hand cats, and then a right arrow and down arrow above the right hand cats. The left cats will eventually break through, but too late, and the right hand cats will loop forever.

11. RichieHD

RichieHD Well-Known Member

My girlfriend loves this game, bro. So do I. Major kudos.

12. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

Pushed 1.5 to the market, which seems to have gone down well - up to 1400 downloads from 800ish overnight. Getting into the just released list is gold dust.

My todo list:

• Add auto rotate option to rotate to best fit when level loaded
    • Add hint
    • Add music
    • Start thinking about multiplayer

13. lyndonimus

lyndonimus Lurker

I can't find it on the market... but when I d/led it via the barcode it simply says it cannot be installed...

running sony X10

14. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

Odd that you cannot install it - ensure that you have Menu/Settings/Applications/Unknown Sources ticked.

In other news I've just released 1.6, with 30 new levels! If for some reason you cannot see it on the market use this direct link:
    [​IMG]
    http://github.com/downloads/danishcake/ShokoRocketAndroid/ShokoRocket_1_6.apk

Congratulations to Alex Kirri for being the first person to submit a level - it'll be in a user submissions pack in 1.7

15. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

Oh god I found a bug. It's pretty unusual for it to occur, but very reproducable. Somewhere I'm leaking memory when switching applications, probably the context, so when the application slurps the last of the allocated heap (~32mb on my phone) it crashes. This can be achieved by switching between app and home about 10 times. It won't do any harm, as the memory will promptly be freed, but it doesn't look great. Bah, now to figure out how to fix it.

16. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Android Expert

Checking it out!

17. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Android Enthusiast

OMG, danishcake, thank you, I LOVE Chu Chu Rocket. It's one of the games that makes me keep my Dreamcast. :) Thank you!

18. Akaamia

Akaamia Newbie

Wow, that's a lot of fun! I struggled with the arrow at first, but I'm now using the double tap feature and that works fine. Are you planning on having any high scores/achievements?

19. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

High scores doesn't really suit the type of game this is at the moment, but I am dithering about adding a challenge mode of some sort as I'm working on the multiplayer component. At that point it would make sense - but I'll be looking for a match making service primarily. Anyone have any idea if there are existing match making solutions, much like there are for high scores? I don't particularly fancy running my own servers.

20. dalamchops

dalamchops Newbie

does not install on x10, great work though!

21. DroidGames

DroidGames Newbie

22. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

I suspect this is because the x10 runs Android 2.0, and I've been developing for 2.1. Off the top of my head I think I marked it as requiring API level 7, which would probably exclude you, but I'm not sure if this is strictly necessary. I'll look into reducing the API level requirement.

Also, thanks for the review, er, DroidGames.

23. danishcake

danishcake Newbie

New version released. Just content this time - level count is now over 120! Thanks to the couple of guys who submitted levels.

Also, I've started working on multiplayer branch and a level picker branch. I really shouldn't be implementing my own kinetic scrolling, but I've so abused the Android widget framework - bad me. It looks cool, but it's a bit slow loading, and a little buggy. I imagine I could speed it up by caching bitmaps on the SD card - how would people feel about ~3mb of SD card usage for this?

[​IMG]

Also,

MOO

[​IMG]

24. flipn0tic

flipn0tic Member

I loved Chu Chu Rocket on the Dreamcast, and while the puzzle mode was fun, the multiplayer was the best aspect. I know that will be a bit harder to implement though.

As for the puzzle mode, I'd suggest having music and sound FX, and also a speedup button is a must. Otherwise nice work.

25. Tzara

Tzara Guest

Try this - hit the go button twice to speed up.

I'm so enjoying this game thanks for coding it.