• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help CIQ on the D3?

Actually, that is not true. Verizon does collect data from the phones, it is just not called CIQ.

View details here: Verizon | About Verizon - Privacy Policy you have the option to OPT OUT of Verizon Data Collection.

The Droid 3 Data Collection is done by Motorola, not Verizon.

The apps are called:

DataCollection.apk
DataCollectionProvider.apk
DataCollectionService.apk

Located in System>App...

I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a PC you have been spied on since you got it. All PC's running Windoze "Phone Home" to Microsoft. And most apps on the Mac "Phone Home" as well every time launched to verify serial numbers and system data.

On the Mac there is a program called "Little Snitch" that is a must have for those with questionably obtained software, music, or movies. Little Sitch will tell you what is attempting to make an http request and gives you the option to allow or block.

Hopefully someone will find a way to block CIQ type data collection on our Android devices.

For the most part, I think the data collected, although an invasion of our privacy, is only used for marketing or device usage details... ( I HOPE):rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a PC you have been spied on since you got it. All PC's running Windoze "Phone Home" to Microsoft. And most apps on the Mac "Phone Home" as well every time launched to verify serial numbers and system data.

Not to mention the fact that, if your phone is on, Verizon can track your location to the nearest cell tower, knows who you call and who calls you, when, and for how long, who you text and the content of the text messages (unless you have special software that encrypts and decrypts them), and which internet sites your phone accesses on their network, without any special software on the phone. The CIQ thing is slimy and should have been transparent from the start, but you are using a phone on Verizon's network - they can gather most of this information on their own anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones