1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support City ID... how do you uninstall?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RWCouck, Apr 29, 2010.

1. JETC

JETC Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    So, you mean to say that you can keep clearing its data to reset the free 15 day trial? >_>

Advertisement

2. Droidboy850

Droidboy850 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm okay with that!

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Berumda Triangle
    Seriously how do you force stop it and clear the data? I'd probably do that too, lol....

4. mozetti

mozetti Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    You should be able to go in to Menu->Settings->Applications and find the program. Force Stop should be an option (don't have my phone in front of me to try it).

Bob Dobalina and nyngbld like this.
  5. Marks HTC Incredible

None

May 4, 2010
    City ID is annoying and yes, I've received 4 nags since I received my phone. I don't see any value in the product. All that said, I question anyone's assumption that Verizon will do anything about it. Their customer-no-service function is exhausting. They clearly are looking to gleen $ today without any thought of my commitment tomorrow. You gotta luv 2 year contracts. I love my Incredible, but HATE verizon!

6. Bob Dobalina

None

Apr 28, 2010
    Berumda Triangle
    I agree with you. This software is a total scam! Everything about it is just GREEEEEED. Now if it functioned like real Caller ID, so the actual registered name shows if it's not saved in your phone, that would be cool. For now, I will s c a m them right back and force close it and re-load it for a continuous free trial :)

7. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Is that a fact? I kind of like City ID although I would never pay for it, at least not that much. I'd pay .99 or even $1.99 but only as a one time fee, no more than that.

8. jfunk

jfunk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Having to reset the data and deal with the nag screens isn't worth it to maintain access to what I consider a useless product anyway. I just want it to go away.

If I don't know a number, do I really care if it is registered in Salt Lake City or San Francisco? I'm not more likely to answer it based on this information. I can also determine that information for myself in literally 5 seconds using Google.

9. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yeah, I can understand that. I just think it's kind of cute in a way, or should I say interesting? Either way, here is what may be an issue. I've had the phone for almost a week now. But my sub status says I have 14 days left. I turned off the phone yesterday, can that have reset it? I just cleared the data and it's back to 15 days left.

10. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    This is really annoying. I just ended a call, and the "subscribe now - continue free trial" popped up. Hopefully, after the free trial, it will uninstall itself.

This looks like a carryover from Verizon's "Get it Now" fixation.

11. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    Youth Counselor
    PA
    It's a Verizon app, yeah. After 14 days it'll go away if you don't decide to keep it (and why would you). I had the same thing on my old enV Touch.

12. wonderbread

wonderbread Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Why oh why not make it a one time fee. It just has some silly database of area codes, it's not like it's doing anything sophisticated warranting a monthly fee.

13. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    Youth Counselor
    PA
    It's a holdover from the dumbphone days. Since you can't actually install apps like this on an enV or whatever, ALL of Verizon's phones come with it. I assume they're also expecting most people aren't bright enough to realize this fact.

Similarly, it's why they expect everyone to pay $30/mo for tethering when there's a perfectly good app that'll do it for a one time fee.

14. Bob Dobalina

None

Apr 28, 2010
    Berumda Triangle
    I found from another thread that if you do a Force Close and clear the data, the free trial will start over and you can continue using for free. Only issue is that you will continue to get BS nag screens...

oblivion82 likes this.
  15. JasonCz

JasonCz Member
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    I just want to get rid of the darn thing, its starting to really annoy me with its nag screens. Hopefully after the 14 days are up, It has an uninstall option.

16. bjanow

bjanow Android Expert
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    What happens if you turn your phone off? Does that reset the trial?

17. SamMax

SamMax Android Expert
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Male
    Computer Home Theater Repair Installation
    IN
    It's funny that Android is famous for being completely open source, yet we are unable to delete this from our phones.:rolleyes:

18. thrillerbee

thrillerbee Member
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    Network Engineer
    Tennessee River Valley
    I added it to the auto-kill list on taskpanel & haven't gotten any nag screens.

19. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

My wife and I are on the same plan, live at the same house, but her number comes up for a place that is a 20-30 drive from here. Worthless. I want to uninstall it.

As for "worldcallplaceandtime", I couldn't find any positive comments for this app. It appears that it doesn't work for many people.

20. Kansas Hokie

Kansas Hokie Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    This app seems to be based in a development for Russia and just indicated to me that a local number was from South Africa. I'm planning to uninstall it, nothing harmful to the phone about it, just doesn't seem to be designed well.

21. jlb0305

jlb0305 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Just a note: my CityID trial has said 14 days left since I got it last wednesday... maybe its free from Verizon

22. cryptiq

cryptiq Member
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    FL
    For those of you getting nagging/reminders to subscribe, are you using a task killer and shutting the app down? I personally don't use a task killer and have never received a subscription/nag/reminder thingy...knock on wood.

23. kayst

kayst Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I got a call yesterday from Nashville - that was kind of cool to be able to see that. Turns out it was from a friend who couldn't find her phone and used her friend's, visiting from Nashville.

I'm tired of the nags too, and if they don't go away when the 15 days are up I'm going to start complaining.

24. jfunk

jfunk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Just FYI, this is the response I got from the company when I complained about it:

Thank you for your message. Because City ID is preloaded onto the HTC Incredible, it cannot be uninstalled from the device. The way to disable City ID is to select “No” at the end of the free trial, which ends 15 days after you receive the initial free trial notification. If you select “Remind Me Later,” or press the Back or End key (or a similar action) the trial expired message will appear after each incoming call (up to 10 times), so please be sure to select “No” upon the first expiration message to disable City ID.

If you are experiencing a City ID trial notification appearing more than after the fifth incoming call and on the 15th day when your trial expires, it is unusual and unintended behavior of the City ID product. We’d like to verify what you are experiencing and greatly appreciate any additional information you can provide to our team, such as the handset build version and other applications you are running, which will help us to try to reproduce the experience.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Best Regards,
    The Cequint Team

friend088 likes this.
  25. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010