• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help City ID... how do you uninstall?

This is from cityID support (cequint.com).
The trial expired message should go away and disable City ID after selecting “No” the first time. The one thing to note is that it the “No” button on the touch screen must be selected; otherwise, if you press the End or back key (or a similar action), it functions as a “Remind Me Later” action, which might explain the notification appearing again. The “Remind Me Later” function is set to end after 10 calls, which means City ID will disable itself if neither “No” or “Yes” is selected.

If you are still getting the reminders I would suggest contacting them directly to get it resolved.

Upvote 0
Ok so im new here and im new to the smartphone user crowd but I am pretty good with computers and think I may have found a way to remove City ID (and any other apps preloaded or not) from the Incredible. I was playing around last night and found an "Uninstall" button for City ID but I being a new user to Smartphones and honestly not yet willing to destroy my baby hehe was afraid to press it. Anyways for those (if any) of you out there are willing to try it and see what happens (im not held liable for anything if it goes wrong this is strictly your decision)..here is how you find the button:
1) Enter Astro File Manager (by default it takes you to your SD Card)
2)Hit the "UP" button, it will take you to your phone storage directory.
3)Choose the "System" folder.
4)Choose the "app" folder.
5)Scroll to "City ID". Click on it.
6)Choose "Open App Manager".
7)Voila..there is your button.

Please post if this works..alongside with any side effects etc..it would be greatly appreciated. Hope this helps someone. (Also posted this on XDA-Developers.com in a reply to a thread. City ID... Can we remove it? - Page 2 - xda-developers)

Upvote 0
Ok so im new here and im new to the smartphone user crowd but I am pretty good with computers and think I may have found a way to remove City ID (and any other apps preloaded or not) from the Incredible. I was playing around last night and found an "Uninstall" button for City ID but I being a new user to Smartphones and honestly not yet willing to destroy my baby hehe was afraid to press it. Anyways for those (if any) of you out there are willing to try it and see what happens (im not held liable for anything if it goes wrong this is strictly your decision)..here is how you find the button:
1) Enter Astro File Manager (by default it takes you to your SD Card)
2)Hit the "UP" button, it will take you to your phone storage directory.
3)Choose the "System" folder.
4)Choose the "app" folder.
5)Scroll to "City ID". Click on it.
6)Choose "Open App Manager".
7)Voila..there is your button.

Please post if this works..alongside with any side effects etc..it would be greatly appreciated. Hope this helps someone. (Also posted this on XDA-Developers.com in a reply to a thread. City ID... Can we remove it? - Page 2 - xda-developers)

It has the botton, but you don't have the proper user privileges, hence the need for root.

Upvote 0
From the CityID FAQ...

Can I uninstall City ID?
Since City ID is a preloaded application, it cannot be uninstalled completely from the handset. However, once unsubscribed, City ID will remain as an icon on the device and be available for subscription should you decide at a later time to sign up.
That really stinks! Talk about a bad customer relations move!!:mad:

Upvote 0
How about this......

Next update to Android on the HTC phones - delete the CityID app and make it an option Market App.

Sheeeesh

Heh... or how about just make it a free service. It was probably the only thing I really liked about Sprint back when I had them about four years ago. Every call I got showed the City it was coming from, and it was free of charge. Gotta admit it was really cool, and I STILL miss it. But. I also refuse to pay for it. ;) I'll just Google the area code myself if I need to...

Upvote 0
I cannot fathom how this information is useful at all myself.

If a number you do not recognize calls your phone, what difference does it make what city & state the number is registered to?

I'm either going to answer an unknown call or not.

It (or the "other" app) is very useful if you receive cell/business calls from multiple states. There are areas where I need to take the calls immediately and others where I can let them go to VM.

One customer location may have 30 phone numbers and it would be a PITA to create contacts for them all.

Only downside to the "other" app is it does not record the city/state in the call log, which was very useful with CityID.

Upvote 0
There was an app for free that did the same thing as CityID. I think it was called City Caller ID. There was a legal battle and the free app guy withdrew it. I think it's still floating around the internet, somewhere. Three dollars per month is 36 dollars per year. Way overpriced for that app.

Upvote 0
When does it start? I've had my Incredible for 15 days and haven't seen it so far. Should I expect to start seeing it at some point?

After reading this thread I called myself from our house phone. Sure enough I got the message from City ID. All I did was open up Task Killer and the app closed. I called again after I did this and the message for City ID did not pop up again.

Upvote 0
I noticed some nag screens shortly after my trial expired...but haven't noticed anything in a long while...

It is true that the app stays on your all-app screen, and that's kind of an annoyance... But I am moving most of my frequently used apps to one of my 7 home screens anyway... If I set up my screens well, I will rarely need to go to the all-apps screen...

Hopefully I won't get any nag screens later... Will report back if I do...

Upvote 0
CityID just started up on my phone again. My trial expired in early May and I thought I was done with this junk. Nope...started up on it's own 3 days ago. I wish I could get rid of it...

Yeah, I have not been entirely rid of it since declining at the end of the 15 day trial either.

Twice since then, I have gotten the nag screen (not the one saying you have X days left, but the one you got at the end of the trial).

Once I got it when I turned my phone on from a power off and another time when I just woke it up from being asleep.

Very annoying.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The reason you can not uninstall City (sucky) ID is because it is installed in the 512mb rom, along with the OS. That stuff is off limits and current apps have no way to get to it to uninstall it.

The good thing about Android is it is set up this way to avoid a lot of people hosing it, but bad in cases like this.

BTW, I never got any notices from City ID app and it still will run in the background- I have had my Inc since launch. City ID is a tick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones