1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Clarifications on Android Material Design Specs

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by neonwarge04, Feb 5, 2016.

1. neonwarge04

neonwarge04 Lurker

Hi,

I need a bit of clarifications regarding Material designs. I am in a middle of app development when I realize I am making an app using a UI that is a bit too old for this year and I need to make a switch. So I made a decision to try out Material design a bit. I've tried Google Polymer for web based app but it runs horrendously on phones lower than Android 4.4. I will not get into this more.

I am looking for a catalogue just like Polymer and just declare them in XML, unfortunately this is not the case as I was given a spec which I believe could only mean one thing, I need to implement it all myself.

I am looking for ways to make button look like material design but as I research this appears to be more of a manual labor, which is fine for me since styling buttons can be easy. But how about dropdown menus? Spinners etc. and other UI stuff? So whatever I need to make it look paper is to implement it myself base on the material spec. I really can't get around this because this can be very easy in JS and CSS. I am not so sure about custom styles as I have not been dealing with them.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download