1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Class 2 or Class 4 microsd card for music?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stanleyshmanley, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Stanleyshmanley

None

Jul 30, 2010
    I plan on getting a 32 gb microsd card and load all my music on the card. I wnat to leave the 16 gb in the phone to my pictures and video recordings.

I don't care how long it takes to transfer files over because I'm fairly patient. I'm just concerned about any lag that might take place when I open the music player.

So should I go for class 4 or will class 2 suffice?

Advertisement

2. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    Go for the class 4. if you decide to get higher quality mp3's and such, you'll eventually be begging for a class 4

3. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have a class 4 16GB card. It has about 1,200 songs on it and there is no lag at all when i turn on the music player. When i boot up the phone it takes about 1 1/2 min. for the card to cycle and the phone is ready to go. Of course the more music, the more time it will take.

One thing i dont like is i have the game Gangstar on my phone and while i like the game, all the sound bytes for it went to my card mixed in with my music and when i turn on the music player and have it on random, there is over 200 sound bytes from the game on it and it plays those sometimes which is annoying. I havent tried, but i wonder if i can put that game on my internal memory. That is the only game that has sound bytes mixed in with my music.

4. Stanleyshmanley

None

Jul 30, 2010
    If I decide to get the Class2, is there going to be any stuttering while I'm playing my music. Becuase I don't mind waiting a while for the initial sync. Most of the music I listen to is encoded at mp3 and m4a at around 256 kbps.

I guess what my real question is: Is there a significant difference in read speed between Class 2 and class 4?

5. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    there is a difference in speed but for you, you seem to already have your mind made up. I'd go ahead and get the class 2.

6. Stanleyshmanley

None

Jul 30, 2010
    I'm actually still deciding, haha. Do you know how big of a difference it is in speed?

7. elgibby

elgibby Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    I've got a 32gb class 2 loaded with music, some at 256, some at 320. Never had a problem of stuttering or music player lag. (Clarification: I DID have some clicking at the beginning of tracks but it vanished after I applied ryan's lagfix.) I've also downloaded a sitcom from MediaHub, it played fine. And I've recoded several movies from TiVo using VideoRedo and transferred them to the phone, and everything has played w/o problems.

So if you can live with slow transfer speeds and long power-up scans, Class 2 will work well. Especially for the prices now.

8. scoope

scoope Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    I have a class 2 32g card and have suffered no problems with music or video playback.

9. dr_xandroid

dr_xandroid Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I too am confused re class 2 v class 4; I gather class 4 is faster. And now I've seen class 10 as well for sale! So, is 10 better than 4 and better than 2? I also have noted big differences in prices for 16GB cards (from 33 to 75$CA for the same 'class') whereas 32GB are around 115$CA consistently. What is worth paying for or is there likely to be any real world difference between cheap & expensive?

10. Mackinon

Mackinon Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2012
    Male
    Developer
    Bangalore, India
    I just bought a 16gb class 4 sdhc card, flipkart said it's comparable with ACE...
    I know class 4 should be sufficient for phone so didn't think much and went for it..
    I wanted to know what class is the sd card bundled with the phone..

and by the way this is a stupid question but is there any possibility that more amount of memory can reduce battery life?