• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Class 6 sd card not faster than class 2 card in my N1, why?

malzfreund

Jan 24, 2010
NYC
I got almost 6MB/s write speed with the stock SDHC card (4GB capacity) that came with the N1. I replaced the stock card with a 8GB class 6 card I had flying around.

To my surprise, the class 6 card isn't faster! Write speed is still slightly below 6MB/s.

The point is that I eventually want to upgrade to a 16GB. But if the class makes no noticeable difference on the N1, I might as well get a "slower" class 2 card. Thoughts?

there is nothing the N1 can do that will require anything faster than a class 2. hence anything above a class 2 will have zero impact on your performance.

It makes a difference when you're transferring data to and from your card. If you listen/watch lots of podcasts and you're transferring GB's back and forth regularly it's worth the extra speed IMO, but you do have a point.

Class 6 means min 6MB/s, it sounds like your class 6 card is slightly under par and your stock card is pretty good. If you bought a class 6 16GB card you shouldn't expect it to be any faster than 6MB/s. C6 16GB cards are too expensive at the moment (in the UK at least).

Upvote 0
I like to use my N1 for Sneakernet, the highest write speed I have reached on the class 6 card on my N1 is 3.9MB/s this is the card that came with my HTC Magic.
Class 6 cards are guaranteed to have atleast a 6MB/s write speed. It is either a problem with my computer or a problem with the Nexus One and I am suspecting the Nexus One.

Upvote 0
I get 4.6mb with the card that came with it, and a unrated 16GB that i bought.

I don't think its really worth buying anything faster for the N1. Its different on cameras etc where it affects the picture speed.

I take you're point about transfering big files but I really think a small file at 4mb/s vs 6mb/s isnt going to make any difference at all, and huge file will still take many minutes - which means you have to go and do something else while its transfering.

I'll save my money for when 32mb's come out :)

Upvote 0
32gb looks like its going to be pretty expensive when it comes out. I heard a story about some company mass producing 16gb's and their price is about to crash. I forget where now tho but it was a reputable news source. I still think it'll be months before they drop in price.

We can probably expect 32gb's to be no less than twice the price of 16gb's today when they first arrive :(

Upvote 0
hello guys, new on here and thought I would share what I have found.
I have just got my self a Desire HD and it came with a 8GB class 4 but I had a 16GB class 2 already, oh and I also had a Nokia 8GB class 6 sitting about so tested all 3 and this is what I got:

Sandisk 16GB Class 2
Writing speed: 8.97 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.2 MByte/s

Sandisk 8GB Class 4
Writing speed: 5.49 MByte/s
Reading speed: 11.1 MByte/s

Nokia 8GB Class 6
Writing speed: 4.84 MByte/s
Reading speed: 15.5 MByte/s

Now I was just about to give away my class 2 16GB Now Im glad I did'nt
Its confused me more then ever but from the test I just done, it shows this class business dont seem to mean alot, Unless Im missing somthing??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones